jjbunn

Nervous about oil pressure sender

7 posts / 717 viewsLast Reply

I am adding a VDO 150psi oil pressure gauge, and I have the dual sender (which has an M10x1 tapered thread) and the adapter for this sender, both from Bavarian Auto. The adapter has an M12x1.5 banjo bolt for attaching to the engine and a female M10x1 socket for attaching the sender: it allows the sender to be positioned away from the bulkhead.

By hand, I can screw the sender about 1/4 of the way into the hole on the adapter. I've no experience with tapered threads, and am nervous about the connection - should I be able to screw it in further than that by hand? What is the risk of stripping the threads when I get a wrench on it? How tight should it be?

Thanks!

I think you are ok, thats what tapered threads do if you can give is a couple of turns before it tightens up just give it another half turn with a wrench or so and make sure there are no leaks!! if it seeps go quarter turn at a time!

oil pressure sender unit or the adapter...the sender grounds via those threads, and if you goo 'em up you won't get connectivity. Mine was installed dry around 1988 and hasn't leaked yet...

mike

I would also check that previous owners didn't screw up the threads yet.

oil pressure sender unit or the adapter...the sender grounds via those threads, and if you goo 'em up you won't get connectivity. Mine was installed dry around 1988 and hasn't leaked yet...

mike

Thanks to all for the advice. Mike, did you use the copper washers on your installation, on the banjo bolt?