Sign in to follow this  
chadley

74 02 not rolling in reverse when clutch is depressed

2 posts / 382 viewsLast Reply

So, I have done some research and site searching and can't find an answer to this issue:

It feels like the brakes are engaged when the car is in reverse and you depress the clutch, but if you are rolling in reverse and pop it into neutral, it rolls fine.

I recently adjusted the brakes (rears) per the Haynes manual, and they seem to be fine (eventually we'll need new pads).

Also of note, we have replaced the output shaft spline (completely shredded) and I thought the failure may have been related to the rear brakes...

This is my son's car (he is 17), so I'm not the usual driver of it... I get to drive my daughter's 76 02 until she gets her license in six months...andthentherewere02_zpsdebbfbb0.jpg[/img]

adjusted the brakes a little too tight, and when you back up, the shoes are "self energizing" and are wedging themselves against the drums, or...

One of the retaining springs that holds the shoes in place (especially the $#@%&** "W" shaped lower one) has come loose and is allowing the shoes to wedge as above.

You might want to pull the drums and see if anything is amiss inside...

cheers

mike