Rocan

320i (non recaro) seat swap seatbelt help

7 posts / 775 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys... Thanks to Gbarr I have a nice set of 320 seats to replace my terribly worn and broken stock seats. The install went easily enough, except for one snag.

The 2002 seats have the belts mounted to them. I removed the plastic cover on the 320 seats and noticed the front mounting point looks suitable, but on further inspection doesn't really look all that safe and requires drilling the mounting hole larger in order to fit it.

So... do I use 320 seatbelts, do I mount the front mount of my belts to the chassis in some way, or is there another, proper way to do this. I am open to buying new belts; my current ones don't retract very well and are fiddly.

answer needed asap, I want to get this ordered and installed as I need to get the car moving by the end of the week.

I just did this. I removed the seatbelt attachment on the seats and had Al "bluedevils" send me the correct parts to attach to the tunnel. I couldn't even work my seats back and forth with the 3 series seats in. The attachment was rubbing the carpet because it protruded downward too much. I think my method will be safer. Thanks to Al, he convinced me this was a much better way...and it works great.

thanks for the tip...

I just attached it to the same point as the reel temporarily. Not safe, but better then no belt for a short short time.

It is a safety issue.320 seats originally came with a beefy rails that were bolted on the chassis and the female buckles were secured with two points (upper and lower) on the lower rail with a bolt. You can still use 320 retractors and webbing but need matching female buckles that attach to tunnel, to factory anchors. I would use proper and complete seat belt sets instead of retrofitting non-original parts form other cars, just my 5 cent. Seat belts are no joke.

It is a safety issue.320 seats originally came with a beefy rails that were bolted on the chassis and the female buckles were secured with two points (upper and lower) on the lower rail with a bolt. You can still use 320 retractors and webbing but need matching female buckles that attach to tunnel, to factory anchors. I would use proper and complete seat belt sets instead of retrofitting non-original parts form other cars, just my 5 cent. Seat belts are no joke.

I agree completely. I'll be ordering the kit mentioned above and doing it the proper way as soon as possible.

SOLVED!

Attach the belt end to the retractor bolt. This is what I did as a temporary solution, but Al says it's correct. bluedevil, you are the man!