Gordon

Both of my old school BMWs had a birthday yesterday

1 post / 782 viewsLast Reply

What are the odds? I have two BMW's born on the same day, 12/18 but four years apart.

My 74 tii birthday is on 12/18

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2780763 was manufactured on December 18th, 1973 and delivered on February 22nd, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Sahara, paint code 006.

Here's my project blog on trading my 85 Euro spec E28 525e for a clean CA rust free 74 tii shell. The transformation of the shell into a Euro spec tii clone and moving all my parts from my old Frankenstein 74 tii into the newly refurbished tii shell.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,343731/

My 70 E3 Euro spec 2800 also has a birthday on 12/18.

http://www.coupeking.com/2800-bavaria-e3-1284

The BMW 2800 VIN 2308632 was manufactured on December 18th, 1969 and delivered on March 12th, 1970 to the german BMW dealer Stapelmann in Düsseldorf. The original colour was Granada, paintcode 023.

How it ended up in Southern California in the early 70's, I have no idea. No federalization was ever done, it came over pre-gray market era. It still has the speedo in KMH, gas gauge in liters, no side marker lights, etc... I bought it from a lady in the San Fernando Valley of LA who inherited it from her father. She wanted nothing to do with a car with no AC or PS, manual windows and a manual gearbox, she wanted it gone. I bought it for $300 in 2004 without realizing at the time it was Euro spec. When I bought it, the interior and paint was trashed by the CA sun but the body was straight and rust free. I'll take sun damage any day over rust and salt damage. Coupe King, Carl Nelson and Bill Holmes in San Diego helped me restore the 2800. Totally stock except for the Nardi steering wheel, Abarth exhaust (both period correct) and the stereo. The 2800 still has the original ZF 4 speed gearbox. The 2800 has only 133K kilometers on it. My parts bin has a getrag 265 5 speed gearbox and a set of 15" old school BBS RA wheels that will go on the car at a future date.

G-Man