Sign in to follow this  
BillyRay

A Series of Unfortunate Events, 71 2002ti in Norcal

21 posts / 3552 viewsLast Reply

with longing eyes......

SIGH....

i remember when that car showed up on eBay, back in Alabama. as luck would have it, i was on a business trip to Meriidian MS and i REALLY thought long and hard about renting a car and driving the 3 or more hours to see it, at the time. you got it before the auction ended as i recall. it was nice to finally see it "in the flesh" when you brought it to california.

i hope your car stays in northern california. GLWS

time to buy a lottery ticket...

Jerry,

I remember your lament back then. It was a race to Mentone, AL at least for me. I was fortunate to be about an hour and a half away at the time.

If the good folks on this board don't mind; if after looking at my ad you have formed a question that you feel would help my sale, please ask it through ebay so I can clarify for everyone.

While I didn't think it was written as well as it could have been, I appreciate the complement.

Which is exactly what I did.

You are not the first to chastise me for its condition but, it is in essentially the same condition as I found it. For all of its surface rust, it is surprisingly dry underneath, floorboards, frame rails shock towers etc. are in solid condition. Delia Wolfe and others that have looked at it closely can verify.

I really like the look of it and even considered clear coating it as is to protect the extensive patina. Driving it "as is" is surprisingly liberating but, oddly enough not because you aren't worried about the paint. It has "Character"

I have struggled with analogies that might impart the type of "Character" I am talking about; I will try again.

Imagine dating Jodie Foster, no one would even notice you. She looks her age, has serious acting chops and could make any actor in her presence better. She has "Character" in that undefinable sort of way. You would feel "cool" but would never forget that she is much "cooler" than you are.

So it is with this car. It looks its age, has serious chops and makes you cooler just by being in its presence. But, at least in my case, I never forget that it is much cooler than I am.

What Jim said. And I said exactly the same in an email (as long as the car is structurally sound which BillyRay just confirmed).

I hope someone buys it and does just that!

Cheers,

to bad its in such poor shape.

All the better to drive the snot out of it and not worry about how it looks.

Which is exactly what I did.

You are not the first to chastise me for its condition but, it is in essentially the same condition as I found it. For all of its surface rust, it is surprisingly dry underneath, floorboards, frame rails shock towers etc. are in solid condition. Delia Wolfe and others that have looked at it closely can verify.

I really like the look of it and even considered clear coating it as is to protect the extensive patina. Driving it "as is" is surprisingly liberating but, oddly enough not because you aren't worried about the paint. It has "Character"

I have struggled with analogies that might impart the type of "Character" I am talking about; I will try again.

Imagine dating Jodie Foster, no one would even notice you. She looks her age, has serious acting chops and could make any actor in her presence better. She has "Character" in that undefinable sort of way. You would feel "cool" but would never forget that she is much "cooler" than you are.

So it is with this car. It looks its age, has serious chops and makes you cooler just by being in its presence. But, at least in my case, I never forget that it is much cooler than I am.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way....no chastising here! Your car certainly has Character. If I had the space and spare cash I'd buy it right now.

ps: If you know Jodie Foster, please ask for her autograph for me. Brains and beauty.

Oh, I am not concerned that anyone would "chastise" me. Rover1 commented about its condition, which is undeniably rough.

Each of us has an idea in our minds what a car should be; some of us think such a car should be perfect, others think it should start, stop and go, looks be damned. Most I suspect fall somewhere in between.

Like I said, it is essentially in the same condition I found it. I realize that at some point in the future it will require and extensive and expensive restoration; this is why I have been gathering parts since I acquired it. I had planned on doing this once the kids were out of school, etc., unfortunately, recent events have changed those plans.

JGerock, I don't know Jodie Foster, just using her as an example. If I run into her I will get her autograph for you though. I am curious though, did you know I occasionally find myself in close proximity to Hollywood folks or just shooting off the request because I am in California?

Wow,

Good question. I don't really know. I have a lot of 2002 parts, many of which were not set aside for this vehicle in particular but, having parted so many cars (9ish), there are many left overs. I suppose I could start with the most important and go from there.

I am fairly certain it would be packed to the roof in that scenario.

JGerock, I don't know Jodie Foster, just using her as an example. If I run into her I will get her autograph for you though. I am curious though, did you know I occasionally find myself in close proximity to Hollywood folks or just shooting off the request because I am in California?

Just thought it was refreshing to see a reference to Ms. Foster instead of any number of other actresses. If you do happen to run into her....

Those that are interested may find many more photos of the floorboards, rockers, frame rails at my photobucket account here:

http://s21.beta.photobucket.com/user/porsche356/library/

There is also a short movie clip of the engine running.

As they say, seeing is believing, the only thing better would be come view it yourself and give it the "screwdriver test."

Best Regards,

"Z"