02 buying advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Thinking about buying an 02 for my daily driver. I found a car close to me selling for $3400. Its a 74 sunroof car and heres what its got.... the paint is pretty clean, could use a buff job. Really no rust, except for a hole about the sixe of a quarter in one of the rear floor boards. the interior is very nice with freshly covered reccaros, with the exception of one hole in the drivers door panel. it has a few goodies like bilstiens and H4 headlights. The only things in need of immediate repair are: the brakes, very spongy, probably need calipers and wheel cyls and hoses as well as the steering

Guest Anonymous

steering is very loose, no threade left to adjust steering box, so ill probably need a "new" one, an addition to all 3 tie rods. other than that the car is more or less in order. let me know what you think its worth keeping in mind that i live in the midwest! thanks alot

-ian

Guest Anonymous

Oops i almost forgot, the last issue is the engine compression... the #2 cyl has lower compression than the other 3 (roughly 100psi to 130psi) but the car runs fine, but obviously somewhere down the road this will need help

thanks for reading this long post

-ian

Guest Anonymous

Exspecially with that compression reading. I agree w/ Britt, if your mech. inclind, you'll be WAY better off with a car that needs a little more work, but has a better engine.

Just my .02 cents worth,

Lyle

Guest Anonymous

Get under it poke at it. Look at the rear subframe mounting areas. Pull the carpet up and look at the areas around the pedals. Look at the floors where the big drain plugs are. look at the nose behind and undert the radiator. Look in the area around the blower motor. Look really close at the shock towers both inside the trunk and up from the wheel wells. If the body is really clean then it might be worth it. If there is rust starting all over then it will cost you a lot of time and money to deal with it properly. If there are issues then you need to consider why you want the car and how long you want to keep it. It might be better to spend 1000-1500 in Ca and ship it in.

Good luck

Jonathan T.

Guest Anonymous

rebuilding it soon... there are lots of stories here of guys who took their low compression cars on drives and limped or were towed home.

Sounds like you sould keep looking, your $3400 deal sounds like it needs another $3400 to make it a daily driver.

Guest Anonymous

the 250 plane ticket may be worth it. Got one 72 sunroof myself for sale: check the FS section, hell - deduct the $250 and drive home - no rust. You may want the big bumpers for Chicago though...

Michael