Napes

? on intake manifold water connectors

5 posts / 456 viewsLast Reply

Is the part refered to as a "Gasket Ring" (P/N 07 11 9 963 300) that goes under the water connections into the intake manifold what I would refer to as a crush washer, or is something different?

It can be seen in this link as item #5:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/114/Sedan/USA/2002-M10/LHD/A/1975/february/browse/engine/intake_manifold-3/

Thanks for any info.

Bob Napier

Got the washer from the dealership today (12/22) and it is a flat, thin aluminum washer - not copper or a crush washer as some speculated.

I would expect it to be a copper washer (seal) or a bonded washer.

It's a seal to prevent a water leak.

As a general rule when fishing through my assortment of sealing rings at the shop, I use copper rings between steel parts and aluminum ones between softer metals like aluminum. BMWs choice of Cu vs Al might be based on mystical torque specifications for a given assembly. Aluminum (softer than Copper) for lower torque applications.

In all cases: The seal deforms slightly - causing the sealing action.

Guest Anonymous

diggin through my victor reinz set I have a few aluminum looking crush type washers, in various sizes, dimes to donuts these are what vic says will work. Thicker than a normal flat washer, hope this helps Dave

The price of a new one is only about 50¢ so I ordered one from the dealership (along with a few other small parts I needed) so I'll try to remember to post what it is I get from the factory for that P/N.

Bob Napier