Guest Anonymous

Guibo madness

15 posts / 1766 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Can't seem to prevent the guibo from hitting the shift selector. Do guibos come in different diameters? I've done a site search and used shims, etc. to make the guibo clear the bracket which supports the shift assembly. Seems there's no room to do anything else.

Thanks.

Fran Ferrance

1972 2002

Can't emphasize this enough. What brand guibo are you using?

Does your car have a 5-speed?

8-hole or 6-hole guibo? The 6-hole ones are larger in diameter and very close to the selector shaft.

if what it is hitting is the selector rod that goes into the tranny, there is no adjustment that will fix it. the input flange and the selector rod are part of the xmission and are not adjustable. get a guibo from a dealer.

The shift bracket is adjustable, too.

Take a pic.

GL,

Centerline of shift selector shaft is fixed to centerline of output shaft. A weak or inferior 6-hole guibo will flex/grow and interfere with the shaft.

Guest Anonymous

It's an 8-hole Goetze guibo and the trans is a 4-speed.

FF

I went through this when I had my driveshaft work done. After re-assembled everything the guibo was hitting my shifter rod.

I learned from the FAQ that guibos when new have a metal band around them to squeeze it to fit. I don't remember that when I last replaced it. Mine is in near perfect condition so I re-used it WITHOUT a metal band. Needless to say it was very difficult to install. It was distorted and hit the shifter rod.

During the last few months I had my gearbox rebuilt and while it was out I strapped a large hoseclamp around the guibo and it installed perfectly. Easy to bolt on and no rubbing.

Picture below. REMEMBER TO REMOVE CLAMP BEFORE DRIVING.

2199l4x.jpg

Is the guibo hitting the coupling? If so you have a 1602 transmission. The selector shaft is shorter on the 1602 transmission. G

You Virginians ;)

Ok, I still want to see a pic :)

And to know where the guibo was purchased.

Cheers,

Can't seem to prevent the guibo from hitting the shift selector. Do guibos come in different diameters? I've done a site search and used shims, etc. to make the guibo clear the bracket which supports the shift assembly. Seems there's no room to do anything else.

Thanks.

Fran Ferrance

1972 2002

Also if you have a leak at the rear seal of that tranny, or at the selector rod seal, it will drip onto the guibo. those guibos get soft and grow (sounds kinky)when they get oil saturated. A pic would sure be helpful

Yep they were designed to flex a bit and can handle a lot of HP too. If you make that connection rigid then something much more expensive up or down the line will take the force and eventually fail