NullZwei

Door mirror installation suggestions

13 posts / 4426 viewsLast Reply

I'm in the process of installing new doors which had no provision for imounting the mirrors (i.e. the stamped holes for the OEM mounting grommets if they're even still available). I'm not a big fan of sheet metal screws in thin sheet metal such as that of the door skin. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for securely installing the mirrors.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have a body shop install the mirrors for you. Provide them with measurements from the old door or the old door to measure themselves. They're equidistant on either side of the car as far as I remember.

Make sure the now exposed metal is painted or treated with something to prevent any rust from forming.

I only indicated that I wasn't comfortable using sheet metal screws for securing the mirrors. I was instead looking for other options. If the original caged nuts are still available I may just use those unless someone has come up with an even better solution.

Guest Anonymous

the caged nuts work well if you can obtain them.

Dealers have the caged nuts as well.

BEWARE. The nut is recessed at the bottom of the cage. If you install the unit inside the door and tighten the bolt, it will distort the cage and ruin the part. Learned this from experience and they're not cheap so maybe buy one extra.

Unless someone can tell me what I was doing wrong this is what I did:

I moved the nut up closer to the surface of the cage before installing. Not sure why these parts are assembled like that. At first I thought it was like drywall inserts that distort to fit.

Otherwise a great little part.

3130sjb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

heres my o2 cents, went with Vitaloni mirrors as had seen these for years mounted on o2s and thought they were originals, went to find a passenger side match and discovered the o2 on my porch sported Ferrari mirrors, grabbed a righty on ebay for less than half a Benjamin and discovered Italians do think differently than Germans. With the install kit were supplied 2 hard plastic grommet type things that when installed in properly sized holes expand when mounting screw is installed, very clean, very tight and very watertight. Have seen the horrors of cage nuts for years and thought this to be a very viable alternative

Dave Miller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mirror-Vitaloni-Baby-Tornado-left-Alfa-Romeo-Lancia-Ferrari-etc-NEW-/190745334863?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=ZsGieFR0KSpF1OGIfCWnfxxL%2F0U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I also have a NutSert tool . I used this on my doors. Im glad to loan it to you but i believe Im out of the correct size nut sert inserts from loaning it out too much But the inserts are avail online cheap If youd like to use it Im glad to send it to you if you return it

1. Using your old driver's door, or a friend's with a factory mirror, make a paper template that locate the mounting holes in relation to the door's leading edge and the windowsill moulding. Turning the template over will give you a template for the passenger's door.

2. Use the old door to size the holes, then drill your new door--use a small diameter drill first, and put tape over the hole so the bit won't skitter. Then drill to proper size, and hand file the little slots for the cage nuts.

3. After installing the cage nut, touch up the raw hole edge to prevent rust.

4. Replace the set screw in the mirror head with a stainless steel allen set screw--most hardware stores have 'em in metric sizes.

cheers

mike

heres my o2 cents, went with Vitaloni mirrors as had seen these for years mounted on o2s and thought they were originals, went to find a passenger side match and discovered the o2 on my porch sported Ferrari mirrors, grabbed a righty on ebay for less than half a Benjamin and discovered Italians do think differently than Germans. With the install kit were supplied 2 hard plastic grommet type things that when installed in properly sized holes expand when mounting screw is installed, very clean, very tight and very watertight. Have seen the horrors of cage nuts for years and thought this to be a very viable alternative

Dave

Agreed. However, can you use the original factory pre drilled holes?

Guest Anonymous

[Agreed. However, can you use the original factory pre drilled holes?e]

Good point, the drivers side retains the cage nut, typical cracks, distortioin and corrosion, I used the grommet fasteners on the new passenger side, will be sourcin more of the grommet fasteners asap. The mount hole was about 1/4 inch, hoping to find the grommet fasteners to match original drivers side hole, by far a better solution to the problematic cage nuts, have seen way to many ruined doors at the bone yard

Dave Miller