PaulTWinterton

Driveshaft Alignment With Tool

9 posts / 2934 viewsLast Reply

After reading many posts I decided to build a tool with hollow aluminum box stock and 4 x 3" bolts. Easy-peasy.

After refitting my gearbox, guibo and dshaft I measured the dshaft for alignment. NOTE: Gearbox output shaft, guibo, dshaft input shaft, and center bearing all line up beautifully. No distortion of guibo.

As you can see in the picture below, the driveshaft lines up until the last point before the differential. Hmmm. Other than bending the guibo UP I can't see any other adjustment that would eliminate the gap close to the diff.

Input please.

2mrekqd.jpg

The guibo alignment is more important than the diff. The U joints are designed to be slightly out of alignment. This makes the needle bearings move back and forth. It the U joints are in perfect alignm,ent then the needles do not move and they will wear and cause a vibration. G

Cool. I didn't know that. The German "how-to" for driveshaft alignment with the tool would have you believe that all four pointers should touch.

It makes sense though. My car is very stock and there are few variables to alter the dshaft adjustment.

Thanks for shedding light.

Cheers.

Guest Anonymous

I think you are over-worrying this. You have some adjustment available at the center bearing, side-to-side, but no other adjustment is built into the system. I suspect that is because it doesn't matter. After all, as you drive, the engine/tranny and rear end are moving a bit and the guibo, u-joints, and center bearing are flexing to handle that, but the drive shaft won't stay perfectly straight with all that going on.

Also, I wonder if your tool would be closer to the rear of the shaft if the wheels were loaded.

+2

the only alignment that matters is that the front flange of the driveshaft is square to the output flange of the tranny (with guibo in between). alignment of rest of driveshaft is irrelevant. u-joints take care of the angles.

those DS alignment sticks don't really add much value.

Because this post was started in December 2012, there are now no pictures.

also would like to know if there is anything new since then ?

Nothing new. Tool was a huge waste of time.  Luckily it was under 10 bucks to build.

Tool1.jpg