Guest Anonymous

Info/ Ire Engineering tii new distributor for 1976 2002.

6 posts / 995 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am thinking of buying Ireland Engineerings NEW tii distributor for my 76 2002. I am interested in your results of installing this part in a non tii car. I think I have read this dist. fits non tii models like mine and works well without any vacuum setup. Please post your results if you have installed this new part in your NON-tii bimmer.

I don't have the Ireland dizzy, but my non-tii 75 has a tii 002 distributor in it. Works great! I don't know what the benefit of mechanical advance over vacuum advance is (if any) but I'm sure someone will chime in.

-Tom

Like Tom (above) I run an 002 non-vacuum dizzy on my '75. I've had it on my car for about 15 yrs., or more, and have had excellent performance and no problems. Need to close off the vacuum lines to the carb and manifold, but otherwise nothing is needed.

I had it on my stock factory rebuild and now on my Eric Kerman rebuilt engine with stock cam, 9.5 Mahle pistons, and tii exhaust manifold. You should have no problems if you choose to run it, though mine is not the IE version so I cannot speak specifically to Jeff Ireland's version.

Bob Napier

I have an IE distributor in my NON-Tii and it works great. Just be sure to time the engine as per IE instructions. That's 32 degrees at greater than 3200 rpm (full advance).

I had an IE distributor for a while. The only issue I had was that the oil seal sits higher up than on a stock 02 so I ended up with leaks. I do not think my issue was one everyone sels has so may have just been with my car...anyway as an alternative I sent a stock 02 distributor to Advanced Distributors. Tey rebuild from the ground up, thing came back looking like art work. I also had them install the Crane Fireball optical ignition. They will curve the distributor to any advance you wish. I had then set my to be at 20 degrees at 1500 RPM, that way I could still time it with the ball.

http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

IE makes nice stuff so not knocking them. In fact I think about 80% of my car is IE stuff LOL ...Just letting you know there are also other alternatives out there if you wish to keep you 02 distributor

+1 on the IE dizzy on non-tii. No issues. Will change your world if you still run on points/condensor.