nbristow01

Look at what happened to my clutch disc

11 posts / 726 viewsLast Reply

I was having some clutch MC issues (bleed by) and while waiting for the new MC to come in and while driving I lost my clutch.....this happened. Any idea why this spring came off? Pressure plate looks perfect, flywheel looks perfect, TO bearing looks perfect and feels smooth to turn....clutch had plenty of life left in the discs. The clutch PP and TO Bearing have been on the car for about 2 years, so have about 60k miles on them. 5 speed 215MM set up

I got a new disc, PP and TO bearing in today so will install them..also installed the new clutch MC. Have a new slave to install tomorrow

just curious why this happened. Metal lip that holds the spring in place was very jagged, the rest looked ok.

post-17424-13667667365701_thumb.jpg

Just a faulty part. I have probably replaced a thousand clutch assemblies and have never seen that. Who made it.

Huh- look at the clip at 2:00- it seems to be the same way.

Likewise, I've never seen that happen- and it probably wouldn't

affect anything, other than the loose spring getting caught up where

it shouldn't be.

If there's no evidence of something getting in there and doing that TO it,

I'd second the 'mis- formed stamping'- although, that's an odd one...

t

Rule # 2 :

(please tell him class)

Hand raised from the back of the class:

"If you've got it apart and it's questionable - REPLACE IT!"

Rule # 2 :

(please tell him class)

Hand raised from the back of the class:

"If you've got it apart and it's questionable - REPLACE IT!"

Heck yes I am replacing it!!! LOL When I saw the spring out I called my mechanic friend..has about 40 years of working on these. First thing he asked was if all the bolts that hold the tranny to the engine were in place and tight. He said he has seen this a numbr of times when one is missing or loose. Sure enough the 10mm bolt down by the accelerator linkgage must have vibrartd loose and fallen off. Man put that man on a game show!!

Guest Anonymous

Make sure to have your friend check all bolts. Have you consulted with NASA?Maybe it's time to perform a nut and bolt restoration? The car is falling apart.

Really common. Perhaps not as much with Sachs clutches as some others but we've replaced many clutches because a spring has come out of the disc hub.

Guest Anonymous

I forgot to mention I am a spineless coward troll

Really common. Perhaps not as much with Sachs clutches as some others but we've replaced many clutches because a spring has come out of the disc hub.

Thanks Skip, my mechanic fried is Brad. Nice when people that actually work on cars for a living instead of being armchair mechanics give sensible responses

Make sure to have your friend check all bolts. Have you consulted with NASA?Maybe it's time to perform a nut and bolt restoration? The car is falling apart.

Well I called NASA and they said there is no hope. So I guess the best thing to do is keep a big bag of wave washers and blue loctite and hope for the best. Also I have the car fully secured with Gorilla tape so she is sturdy as can be now!