DHS; what kinda paint gun are you using?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm considering doing it all myself. Worst that happens is that I spend hours upon hours sanding it back off. My time is cheap :)

Matt

Guest Anonymous

I am using Glasurit paint. I am using a their chromated epoxy (not sure why I convinced myself to go with this, regular epoxy would have been fine and safer). The same epoxy morphs into a filler and a sealer depending on how you reduce it (activated reducer to allow sanding). Top coats will be their 22 line single stage. Color is probably going to be the original Malaga.

Glasurit is not a cheap line of paint. As I understand it, Glasurit is BASF's premier paint brand. I believe all of the manufacturers have cheaper lines. Such as PPG's Omni line. Maybe Dubois has a recommendation.

Urethane paints are probably going to contain isocyanates (sp?). It is not hard to imagine how all automotive paints are nasty, but the isos seem to be particularly worth not breathing. I have a supplied air resperator setup with a full hood I picked up several years ago. It works like a treat. I wear gloves while painting, mixing, cleaning and glasses while mixing. Unreasonable fear? My take on it is I don't want to wonder about it down the road.

I would say DIY painting is not cheaper than a middle road paint job when you factor in all the costs. But the experience is what I am after :) I expect to give many times over the attention to my work than I could afford to pay for. Hopefully, much of that will be focused on getting a great result not fixing f-ups!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. What brand/model of gun are you using? For my quick spray on the bodywork I'm just gonna use Dupont Nason. When I do the entire go I'm going to kick it up a notch to Duponts high-end stuff. I have a friend who sells it so I can get it for pretty cheap.

And I'm exactly like you in this since..I want the experience. And I have a '83 Civic and a '77 Civic Wagon I can practice on before my full 02 paint job :)

MK

Guest Anonymous

I have 3. One conventional high pressure gun, an Astro Pneumatic import knock-off of an old sata model, and two HVLP - Sata NR2000 and a Devilbiss FinishlineII (can you tell i work with tools all day :P). I would not recommend the AP. The HVLP advantage of less overspray is worth it IMO. I was pretty impressed with the FII when i used it this past weekend. Everything I find not so nice about it has nothing to do with spraying. It is not as nicely made by a long shot, and more difficult to clean. I would go with a FII, or maybe wait to see how the latest FIII pans out. The FIII is more demanding on the air supply however.

David - who needs to open his eyes and pay attention tonight