Collinster742002

30,000 for a 76 automatic?!

12 posts / 951 viewsLast Reply

are those re-dished chromed stock steelies? looks badass.

Price does seem a bit high, expecially for a '76 in CA, but before you condemn the automatics I respectively suggest you spend some time driving one.

I've been driving my '75 automatic daily for the past 31 yrs. and I love it. This after spending 29 yrs. driving, racing (SCCA), autocrossing (extensively), and time-trialing 356 Porsches. So I have a few hundred thousand manual shifts under my belt (hand?).

One needs to learn how to drive an automatic '02. You don't just put it in drive and let the tranny shift for you. The T-handle between the seats is movable and you need to do so.

At the 1995 O'Fest Autocross, in Colorado, because I had a 38/38 Weber and 14" wheels on an otherwise stock automatic, I was moved up into a class with tiis. I still managed to take first in class.

Now this may have been due to the course being wet, and I'd done all my competing in Porsches in the Pacific Northwest, where it's been know to rain on occassion, my car had less HP than the tiis and resulted in less wheel spin coming out of corners, and being able to leave my car in 1st gear with no shifting. But, nonetheless, I won my class.

So, before condemning the automatics, try to learn a little more about them.

Bob Napier

post-20861-13667667329329_thumb.jpg

If it had a 5 speed, $30K for a stock (albeit it very nice) 2002 is way high. Yesterday there was another influx of the high priced spread, one "restored" for $30K, another for $26K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-2-Door-Coupe-1973-BMW-Completely-restored-/150963638593?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2326225141

This one has some serious drivetrain upgrades:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-2-door-170-horsepower-2-4L-5-speed-/330843326560?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d07cc8860

Price does seem a bit high, expecially for a '76 in CA, but before you condemn the automatics I respectively suggest you spend some time driving one.

I've been driving my '75 automatic daily for the past 31 yrs. and I love it. This after spending 29 yrs. driving, racing (SCCA), autocrossing (extensively), and time-trialing 356 Porsches. So I have a few hundred thousand manual shifts under my belt (hand?).

One needs to learn how to drive an automatic '02. You don't just put it in drive and let the tranny shift for you. The T-handle between the seats is movable and you need to do so.

At the 1995 O'Fest Autocross, in Colorado, because I had a 38/38 Weber and 14" wheels on an otherwise stock automatic, I was moved up into a class with tiis. I still managed to take first in class.

Now this may have been due to the course being wet, and I'd done all my competing in Porsches in the Pacific Northwest, where it's been know to rain on occassion, my car had less HP than the tiis and resulted in less wheel spin coming out of corners, and being able to leave my car in 1st gear with no shifting. But, nonetheless, I won my class.

So, before condemning the automatics, try to learn a little more about them.

Bob Napier

Bob, I actually do really like the way 2002 automatics drive. I recently drove a Verona 75 locally and almost bought it. I was just saying the price seems a bit high :)

Are we out of the recession? These prices are way high on all 3 cars, but I bet they sell; obviously not to someone on the faq.

I like the look of that black and gold one. I have been on the fence about doing the same color scheme to my moto. it's matte black and would look sweet with gold bits on it.

I really like my 75 auto.....fun car. $30K is just too much though. Especially with a dirty valve cover and no engine bay detail.

It is a little high because of the dealer, but completely restored 2002s like this one and especially nice tiis finally started getting close to their real market value, and I like it. Try to restore a 2002 to high level, you will be in the 40K in no time. Just my 5 cents...

Guest Anonymous

We all bein owners ya gotsta love seein this, caught the black and gold last night and got my knoggin scratchin on paintin my original golf same, then came to my senses and realized better to keep her stock, and go look for a roundie to to resto rod. Where I live o2s are rarer than hens teeth, but I did spot a NK 1800 I am keepin my eyes on, surprisingly nice lines when done right, just know the German side of my brain would get a real workout. Head gasket this weekend, wish me luck guys.

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

some reasons why I don't believe the indicated 17,000 miles:

mechanical speedo can be replaced ,

or , miles set into replacement unit - easy

brake pedal rubber should not show this amount of wear

in that short time - and anyway a pedal rubber only costs

$1.59 - what's the matter with these people?

9677869_22.jpg

wear and 'stuff happening' at the door seal and door-brake

area smells older than 17,000 miles

9677869_16.jpg

9677869_20.jpg

picky point: the jack belongs ON that threaded pin with a

wing nut and small bracket to hold it - NOT laying against the

inside of the fender where is could cause a dent, rattle,

and scratch the paint

9677869_35.jpg

I HATE SEEING STANT radiator caps on any car -

it says your too lazy and cheep to get the correct

cap from a BMW dealer - (calif has 50?!?! dealers!!!)

9677869_38.jpg

YES- not Original paint (matters big to some people)

it's been painted - look at the fuel pipe running to the

engine bay

9677869_36.jpg

vin 2 3 9 1 9 1 4

model year = 1976

production = 03/1976

Polaris Silver = 060

Trim = 0006

original selling dealer =

Intercontinental BMW

13921 I-45 North

Houston, Texas.

Original delivery date = 6/21/1976

That painted pipe sure tells the car was repainted very good attention to detail cd.

I think it's def overpriced and probably not even 17k miles on it. Maybe it was restored and it's already the 2nd turn on the speedo haha.