peteinjp

Need some dif measurements confirmed- mlytle?

10 posts / 1259 viewsLast Reply

Looking into the availability of quaife lsd units for small case bmw's (would replace the e21 lsd in my case) and I received this from Bird's Automotive whom handles all of the bmw related differential dealings for size confirmation. Anyone have some measurements handy? I'm pretty sure this is the right unit and if so it tips in at about $1340 for the unit shipped. Not cheap......

post-147-13667667327605_thumb.jpg

Pumpkin Height

2002 open: 5.7”

E21 open: 5.7”

E21 LSD: 5.05”

E30 open: ?

E30 LSD: 5.7”

E36 open: ?

E36 LSD: 5.7”

Looks like the right size if going into E21 LSD case, wont fit in any other case though.

Marshall- if you get the time I'd appreciate the check.

Andrew- exactly what did you measure there? It is going into the e21 case if i get one. I have a 40% lock up unit now and it works great but I have a feeling that by the time I need to rebuild it I'll have a hell of a time finding the parts.

Thanks!

Pete

Pete, the parts are around. Just not plentiful on the internet.

The measurement is from one end to the other. The E21 LSD case has side-covers that extend further into the case, and so the LSD center-section itself is shorter than, say, the E21 Open center-section.

See the difference in the picture for example....

IMG_4341.jpg

You would not be able to run that Quaife unit in anything but an E21 LSD case.

I see what your saying. Your refering to L3 measurement in terms of fitting in the case internal width.

In terms of the other measuments Does everything seem good?

Pete

I don't have the other measurements in front of me, but it would be good to double check.

Is there any other reason (other than parts availability) why you want the quaif?

When I machined my E30 small case LSD so I can use 4 clutches/dogear plates, I ordered the clutch plates/dogears from http://driveandtraction.blogspot.com/2009/11/history.html. They were really helpful!

It was the cheapest I could find and still great quality, haven't put much abuse to them but they are exact copies of OEM. The ID of the dog ear plates are slightly larger on the new ones, not enough to matter.

20120705192341848.jpg

Machined the top and bottom of the pumpkin and ground the 2 pressure rings that hold the pinion/spider.

2012070617275284.jpg

Maybe this helps. Parts are still out there so stock up!

I checked this earlier this year. The E21 LSD center is the same size as the dimensions on the Quaffe drawing.

I can't see why there would be any issues in swapping out a E21 LSD for a Quaffe one. However if you're starting from an open E21 diff you'll need new side covers, as both the Quaffe & the E21 Lsd are narrower than an open E21 diff.

Sounds like a go then. Still on the fence and will wait till after the holidays to decide on getting it or not.

Tomorrowcalling do you think your end up getting one? Most say the the one wheel off the ground= open dif steers them away from it. My car never leaves ground so it's a non issue for me.

Pete