Koblenz

Custom duckbill spoiler (update with paint) pics

32 posts / 5691 viewsLast Reply

Getting this baby made. Going to paint it Verona to match

Not bad. I prefer spoilers that extend to cover the wheels because of aerodynamic reasons. Spinning wheels produce a lot of turbulent air.

How does that compare to the bfi spoiler you had?

The bfi was used as the template. The current spoiler fit is flush against the body.

The bfi did not follow the body contour and if attempted, a gap was created in the middle.

Hey Rocan! Whats up!

Yeah, I like larger one as well. I do like the look of the duckbill. Considered making it wider but it conflicted with body line.

Guest Anonymous

Spoilers are on my wish list for 2014, tires next spring, what are u runnin mate? Look like awesome shoes.

My last spoiler was an aluminum door sill from a grocery store front door, dont laugh other than grinding the edges round it fit perfectly and couldnt beat the price.

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

76 o2 Golf Screamin yellow zonker

97 328is For when u absolutley positively have to get their fast

Spoilers are on my wish list for 2014, tires next spring, what are u runnin mate? Look like awesome shoes.

My last spoiler was an aluminum door sill from a grocery store front door, dont laugh other than grinding the edges round it fit perfectly and couldnt beat the price.

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

76 o2 Golf Screamin yellow zonker

97 328is For when u absolutley positively have to get their fast

Not laughing mate. I wish I had that door sill. Thanks for the compliments. The shoes are mini-lite look alikes by Koning. The tires are 205-55/15. IE stage 1 and the alum spacer under the fender to raise the front just a pinch.

Good hunting in 2014. Or start stalking in 2013!

Trans Am baby!!

I actually looked at old Camaro spoilers. There is a Chrysler suv looking thing (Durango?) that has what appears to be a workable duckbill.

Wasn't someone looking at MK1 Golf duckbills for the 2002?

That spoiler you have there looks cool.

John

I am in for a custom duckbill. The vw one does not have the best contours but I like the look. Like it a lot. Not too big and not too small.

looks nice, if anything i want to do a duckbill on my build, got any pics on how it fits/connects to the body? the only thing that worries me about making a one out of steel is if i gets snagged on the road or driveway ad gets ripped off along with taking a chunk of the with it lol but thats just me being paranoid

looks nice, if anything i want to do a duckbill on my build, got any pics on how it fits/connects to the body? the only thing that worries me about making a one out of steel is if i gets snagged on the road or driveway ad gets ripped off along with taking a chunk of the with it lol but thats just me being paranoid

no it's not... I have a low front spoiler on my mini and it's managed to bend the front clip a bit, even though it's only mounted with some thin mild steel brackets and is made of fiberglass. Granted, it took me driving the car as if I was in a rally (bad roads, high speeds, catching air often), but I was still surprised to find the clip bent before the fiberglass broke into pieces. The key is spreading the load and attaching it to the long flat strip on the bottom with rivets or bolts.

Thanks Harv!

Actually I have been keeping records. IF the original fabber doesn't produce these (I don't think he will) then I will post a DIY

Really?

No one else will say it?

Make sure the duckbill is sturdy enough. You don't want the fiberglass quacking.

I think it looks really good.