Slightly Larger Roundies

32/36 jetting prescription for high altitude?

6 posts / 845 viewsLast Reply

Was wondering if CD's jetting prescription was good for high altitude as well? I am planning to completly rebuild the carb.

Also, I have a Facet electric fuel pump and the car bogs down really bad when I step on it in second gear. Would a Carter or stock mechanical pump be a better choice?

TIA!

Ben

throw the rebuild kit in first. might be the accelerator diaphram or needle/seat. If the jetting has been correct for all the years your father owned and drove it, keep jetting on the back burner for now.

Bog is usualy referred to as an over rich condition at wick of throttle. Electric pump will not cure this, might even accentuate the issue from fuel blowing through the needle seat. especially if the fuel is unregulated below 3psi. 32/36 doesn't need more than the stock mechanical pump. I gave away my 32/36 and didn't keep my jetting notes. sorry Glad to here the title worked out.

Daron

I haven't been able to test the 2002 with the 32/36 but I have a stock Solex 4A1 on the 320/6 and it runs perfect at 3500ft ofc you can notice maybe a little bit more power at sea level but nothing much.

I took it on a hill climb a while ago and went up to about 12000feet by 9000 ft give or take the car lost a lot of power but I was amazed when I actually reached the summit and the car had decent power with no problems running whatsoever.

I guess it all depends on the carb too I would be inclined to say that the solex 4a1 is a more "delicate" carb than the weber.

Ben, I live at 4,000' elevation and on the 32/36 on my wife's '76 I took c.d.'s prescription and went down one size on the main jets and up one size on the air correction jets and it seems to work very well.

I have a 38/38 on my '75 and I had to adjust about the same from what it came with new.

Recently I had occasion to talk with Jim Rowe, owner of Metric Mechanic, and he told me they have checked numerous stock '02 mechanical fuel pumps with accurate pressure gages and found they put out 9 psi. It's his opinion the needle valves in the Webers handle this with no problem, assuming the needle valve and seat are in good condition. He stated that the pressure from the stock mechanical fuel pump probably puts additional stress on the carbs needle valve, but my 38/38 has been on my car for 7 yrs. with no problem and my wife's 32/36 has about 8 yrs.

At the O'Fests at Keystone and at Breckenridge I went down 2 sizes on the main jets in order to be competetive in the autocross, due to the 9,000' elevation.

Bob Napier

post-19151-13667667309787_thumb.jpg

Don't know if this helps.....

I'm in Colorado Springs running a stock engine with Weber 38.

Runs a little rich on:

142 mains

190 Air Correction

45 Idle