repoman

Fuel Vent routing assistance

17 posts / 6831 viewsLast Reply

Does anyone know how the vent tube, #7 in the diagram below, is routed? It appears to exit out the middle, between the gas tank and spare tire wheel well. Also, is it required to drill a hole for the grommet (#10)? TIA

post-16675-13667667286844_thumb.jpg

The early cars had the hole in the middle as you described. The later routed the vapor line up to a plastic tank that was connected to the air filter thru a charcoal cannister. I bet C.D. can post a pic of the two systems. G

Here is what I did. The grommet does pop through the hole and the hose pops into the grommet. I dressed up the hose a bit to stay below the trunk boards. If you could find a way to run this through a charcoal canister, it would reduce gasoline fumes in your garage.

Tankvent10.jpg

TANKVENT9.jpg

Tankvent8.jpg

trunk3-1.jpg

Here is what I did. The grommet does pop through the hole and the hose pops into the grommet. I dressed up the hose a bit to stay below the trunk boards. If you could find a way to run this through a charcoal canister, it would reduce gasoline fumes in your garage.

Tankvent10.jpg

TANKVENT9.jpg

Tankvent8.jpg

wow that is clean

Admiral - that is the relay that allows my rear fog light to be used as a fog light or a third brake light, but not both, it only has one filament. I use it as a third brake light more.

4-19-083copy.jpg

If the rear fog is switched off, the light works as the third brake light. I realize I put the relay in a place that could get bumped by sliding objects in the trunk, but I made that conscious decision. Relay is close to the light and easily accessible.

Admiral - that is the relay that allows my rear fog light to be used as a fog light or a third brake light, but not both, it only has one filament. I use it as a third brake light more.

If the rear fog is switched off, the light works as the third brake light. I realize I put the relay in a place that could get bumped by sliding objects in the trunk, but I made that conscious decision. Relay is close to the light and easily accessible.

cool setup! thanks Bill!

Can anyone tell me how to identify the hose from the evap tank in the trunk (of my '75) to the engine compartment on the engine compartment end?

About 20 yrs. ago my mechanic blocked all these lines off with a bolt screwed into the end of the hose in the engine compartment when I went to a Weber carb and now I don't know which one is the fuel vapor vent hose.

Bob Napier

Guest schnelltii

wait so the vent tube just terminates after it goes a few inches through the gromet? The canister has nothing to do with that application correct? The canister is for the vent off of the gas tank itself? Where does the hose go that comes off of the canister. Sorry for all the questions, but this is one area the the PO had hacked up royally!!!!!!!!!!

wait so the vent tube just terminates after it goes a few inches through the gromet? The canister has nothing to do with that application correct? The canister is for the vent off of the gas tank itself? Where does the hose go that comes off of the canister. Sorry for all the questions, but this is one area the the PO had hacked up royally!!!!!!!!!!

Since your username includes "tii", we are all assuming that you have a USA-only tii.

Do you still have the stock tii air cleaner? If so, there is a small pipe on the side that connects to one of the (2) plastic tubes at the firewall behind the cylinder head. That hose/pipe goes thru the body, behind the back seat, into the plastic expansion tank under the parcel shelf, then over to the filler neck. That is the vapor recovery system in a tii. I believe a very similar is in the (later) carbureted cars.

On a tii, the fuel return line goes from the back of the injection pump to the larger pipe on the firewall, thru the body, behind the back seat and to the fuel tank. This line returns excess fuel that is not used by the KF pump.

As usual, Jim is correct.

And to your question, in a Euro set-up, the tube or metal pile does end just below the grommet. I made a comment about installing a charcoal canister in that set-up to reduce fumes in the garage. The stock Euro set up does NOT have a canister, but it could work. I know when I open the garage door - I get a pretty good whiff of gasoline fumes that comes from the Euro set-up.

Guest schnelltii

Great thanks guys. That really clears up a lot of questions. Im just going to buy the boot and vent it the euro way. Much easier......Thanks again.

Just found the perfect size grommet for the trunk floor. As Bill pointed out, there was a hole already there in my son's 73 with a rubber plug. I was at NAPA today and saw some grommets that looked like it would work.

Now all I need is 7 more 2002's

post-22896-13667668268289_thumb.jpg

post-22896-13667668269342_thumb.jpg

post-22896-13667668270873_thumb.jpg