fwardell

Engine Bay Ideas

11 posts / 3326 viewsLast Reply

Well, I've completed most of my projects in restoring my '76 Inka '02, and it's looking real good! My objective is to make it look as stock as possible, while upgrading things, e.g., Weber 32/36, de-smogging, dent removal, new sun visors, bumper shortening, etc. Now I want to move to the engine bay, which looks like a 36 year-old one. How about some photos for ideas? I'm not looking for bling but tasteful mods such as wire routing, hose management, air cleaner & valve cover cleaning, etc. Aw, heck, send the bling, too!

Thanks,

Ferman

Your pretty much there. I pulled the motor to clean and touch up the firewall. Routing new ballasts cleanly takes a few looks, also anything next to heat needs heat resistant wrap. Have you pulled your white/black magnetic valve, that helps.

Lot of of time and elbow grease under my hood. Definitely worth it!

post-9429-13667667281368_thumb.jpg

post-9429-13667667284114_thumb.jpg

I have a stock air cleaner with weber 32/36 adapter for sale if you're interested. Really nice condition, just could use a good cleaning and maybe a light coat of paint. if anything your car will run better then with the pancake filter, since the pancake takes in a lot of hot air and has a smaller filter element area then stock. A good filter in a stock intake is fairly good as far as smooth power delivery goes.

Too blingy?

April2012CombsMegasquirtMadness146.jpg

I think the best thing one can do to have a tidy engine bay is to replace the friction tape on the wiring harness. At a minimum I would do that. The rest is just personal preference.

If it is "moily" (mud and oil) clean it. If it is rusted, replace or clean it.

Rewrapping the harness and wire runs is a great idea. Use hockey tape or friction tape. Many threads on the how to abound.

Stu - you may want to think about getting those sparky plug wires in a loom over your valve cover and away from the heat from you header. Great looking stuff above!

newclampspassengerside-1.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

So many nice motors, please keep on posting pictures. I say on a 2000CS would be to scrape off the tar paper.

Norm

post-66-13667667287354_thumb.jpg

Too blingy?

April2012CombsMegasquirtMadness146.jpg

I think the best thing one can do to have a tidy engine bay is to replace the friction tape on the wiring harness. At a minimum I would do that. The rest is just personal preference.

Maybe change to hose clamps?

Norm

Bone stock with new fasteners (clamps, bolts, hoses, wiring tape) makes for nice presentation IMHO. Before and after photos of the F Bomb's motor...

Spark plug loom courtesy of Kingsborne Wire Werks...good people. Good wire sets.

post-9429-13667667290299_thumb.jpg

post-9429-13667667291071_thumb.jpg

My mouth waters at the beautiful engines that are posted. Here is another idea that you might consider for very little money. I noticed that these engines have the long acorn nut from the M 30 on the valve cover. I also have these on my e30 and e21 323 but went a different route on my 02. I picked up some shorter ones from (God forbid) a couple of early MR2s at the local Pull A Part. And to take this a little futher I bought a 6mm 1.0 thread bolt. I cut it to length then buggered up the threads just a little and added epoxy then screwed on another MR2 acorn nut for the front of the valve cover. Add in a can of paint your choice of color and texture. I believe this is the most bang for the buck starting out. Good Luck