Frengel

My slow starting 71

8 posts / 497 viewsLast Reply

My stock 1971 2002 has developed starting problem. When I try to start it at first I get nothing. Then with each successive attempt I get lights on the dash, then more and more cranking until it turns over. It has a relatively new battery and I keep it on a Battery Tender whenever its not running. I've checked the battery output, it's good, and I never get the click-click-clicking of a dying battery. I'm thinking grounding or a regulator of some sort. Do any of you grizzled veterans have an idea of what to check next? Thanks.

First clean your battery connections , remove, clean refit with some battery grease on the terminals, than do the same with the ground strap on the engine , if no improvement change the starter (take it it an autoparts store & have them check it) if bad , replace. Also check your timing .

if you end up having to replace it read up on the s14 starter huge improvement

+1 cleaning battery terminals. Years ago I found some gooey goop "in there" .... no idea what it was. After a thorough baking soda/water soak and cleaning of the terminals, no more problem.

Cheers,

Carl

don't help, run this check:

Turn your headlights on (do this in the dark so you can see 'em) and then try the starter. If the lights dim appreciably, then either your battery is weak or starter may be drawing excessive current, causing it to turn slowly. If the lights stay bright, then the problem is elsewhere.

A slow turning starter motor may be on its last legs, may just need brush replacement, or the rear armature bushing (on the brush end) may be spinning along with the armature and causing excessive starter drag. This was a bit of a design flaw with the Bosch starters. If yours is doing that, drop me an e-mail--I did a column on starter motor repair and I'll send you a copy.

cheers

mike

I'll follow these suggestions and let you all know how I make out next weekend. Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate the help.

-Jeff

Also check the bushing nose inside starter probably worn causing binding also solenoid may have too much amperage draw. bushing was last known avail @ BMW and solenoids can be requested on WTB section. S 14 starter also great upgrade!