Taymar

Walloth & Nesch nose panel - any good?

30 posts / 7110 viewsLast Reply

Tried searching for information on this, but couldn't find anything that specifically mentioned this brand.

My car could use a new nose panel, for several reasons.

I'm told the 74- nose panel is NLA from BMW, but I've found what looks to be an aftermarket copy at Walloth & Nesch.

My biggest question is fitment and accuracy - has anyone used one of these, and was it any good?

You interested in doing a bumper swap at any time?? If so nows the time to use a late euro nose

Ive never seen their repro nose but W&N does a good job with everything else

Thanks Blunt, I definitely don't want the big bumpers back on there. Right now I'm leaning towards a turbo air dam.

This hadn't even occurred to me, am I right in thinking that because W&N is a european company, their 73 & up nose panel would fit the later style grilles and headlights, but doesn't have the big cutouts for the big bumpers the US cars came with?

this is the exact panel I'm looking at if it's relevant:

http://www.wallothnesch.com/front-komplett-ab-1973-41-11-03.html

That is indeed a late model nose with small bumper provisions (because its a euro nose). But wow, I didn't know anybody made reproduction noses. When I was replacing my nose I contacted Blunt to see what BMW had, which was the late model euro nose, but it was simply more than I wanted to spend at the time. I really wish I would have known about this it'd be a lot better than that beat up used nose I went with...

I was looking at their replacement nose for my son's car and got a great quote ...... less than $450 for nose and shipping to San Diego.

Decided that it would instead become a learning lesson w body restoration instead of replacement.

Did confirm with them it was a late model w the narrow/euro bumper openings

Have purchased a fair number of things from them and have always been very pleased

Thanks Blunt, I definitely don't want the big bumpers back on there. Right now I'm leaning towards a turbo air dam.

This hadn't even occurred to me, am I right in thinking that because W&N is a european company, their 73 & up nose panel would fit the later style grilles and headlights, but doesn't have the big cutouts for the big bumpers the US cars came with?

this is the exact panel I'm looking at if it's relevant:

http://www.wallothnesch.com/front-komplett-ab-1973-41-11-03.html

yes sir that is correct

Sorry guys, I have just one more question.

If I were to get the earlier nose panel which I think may still be available from BMW, would I be correct in thinking that my later plastic grilles and headlight mountings won't fit directly on there?

Really struggling to decide on which way to go here, I'm aiming for as good a fitment as I can get (panel gaps, alignment).

Yes you are correct. If you were to buy the early version nose panel from BMW your late version grilles/hardware will not fit.

Don't forget that the late Euro nose is also still available from BMW. You can order it through Blunt or your local dealer, although I suggest Mr. Blunt.

I didn't realize that. Is it the exact same piece W&N carries, or is theirs a replica of the BMW piece?

So the later nose which is NLA must be the nose panel as fitted to american cars, with the cutouts?

I'm slowly piecing all this information together.. thanks so much for the help.

Nope, it's BMW's own stamping not a replica. Granted they're not as accurate as they used to be but it's still a BMW OEM piece. That's honestly your best bet if cost isn't an issue. You can get in touch with Blunt and get a quote.

Nope, it's BMW's own stamping not a replica. Granted they're not as accurate as they used to be but it's still a BMW OEM piece. That's honestly your best bet if cost isn't an issue. You can get in touch with Blunt and get a quote.

Are you sure about that? The quality was like average aftermarket piece and there was no BMW factory stickers, only W&N. I was sure that it was replica when I received the part.

Tommy

Are you talking about the one that came from W&N? That's not a BMW part, BMW is currently selling their own new late model Euro noses.

I should have been more clear, BMW's new nose is entirely separate from W&N's.

Are you talking about the one that came from W&N? .

Yes, I thought you were replying to question: "Is it the exact same piece W&N carries, or is theirs a replica of the BMW piece? "

Now I totally agree. I got both quarter panels from BMW. One was old from 70's and one was late production. There was quite a big difference in quality of stamping in favor of old piece.

So probably OEM part is still better than the replica, but the difficult question is how much better? Does it compare with price? Quite hard to say without seeing them both.

Tommy