jgerock

New Socks for the tii: Brown cloth LX Recaros

33 posts / 6162 viewsLast Reply

After 5 years, I finally have a matching set of front Recaro seats (that don't need recovering).

I just received these two beauties from Tepe in Texas. They are LX-B & C cloth seats he once purchased new for a 5-series. Note the subtle difference between the driver and passenger seats (bolsters and adjustable seat bottom for the driver).

Installation in the tii tomorrow...

IMG_8420.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

Driver's side bottom

IMG_8409.jpg

Passenger side bottom (the bottom strapping broke from age - will get some straps from Aardvarc)

IMG_8417.jpg

Looks good Jim. You can get parts for these if needed. Plus matching fabric if you want to get a cover made for the rear seat. Your dog will like the fabric cover better on the rear seat too !!!

http://www.jjcustominterior.com/ for parts Jim..

dlm ny country

Jim, they look much cleaner than when they left here. I just couldn't clean them before sending because man what a trip to pack and ship them.

Anyway, would love to see pictures of them on the car. I have pictures of my 525i e28 with them somewhere. Let me find them. By the way, sell those recaro seat adapters and use that towards buying new bottom straps for the passenger side.

Looks good Jim. You can get parts for these if needed. Plus matching fabric if you want to get a cover made for the rear seat. Your dog will like the fabric cover better on the rear seat too !!!

http://www.jjcustominterior.com/ for parts Jim..

dlm ny country

Thanks Doug. That is my cat Lotus in the pic (no dogs here)..

Jim, they look much cleaner than when they left here. I just couldn't clean them before sending because man what a trip to pack and ship them.

Anyway, would love to see pictures of them on the car. I have pictures of my 525i e28 with them somewhere. Let me find them. By the way, sell those recaro seat adapters and use that towards buying new bottom straps for the passenger side.

Got to give a hand to you for boxing up these seats and getting them to my wife's store via FedEx. No damage and a great job. It would be neat to see them in your E28. A good vacuuming and wipe-down with some spray cleaner did the trick. Got to keep the cats off them until tomorrow.

The Monza Recaro fabric looks great. Unfortunatly Recaro discontinued the Monza fabric quiet awhile ago. While I was on the hunt (still am) for blue Monza fabric, I found the brown at Sids Upholstery in Mt. View CA. So if you want to recover your rear seats to match, he has enough to do a rear seat.

Here's a pic of my interior with blue Monza fabric. The model Recaros in my '02 are the CT's.

img_5569.jpg

Guest Anonymous

SWEET, make my Toyota GTs look as they should, cant wait for a trip to uhpolsterers...........

Handsome. Should look great with Malaga...I'm sure you will picture us shortly....

Dave V. in NC

I had a set of the cloth Recaros in my '73, somewhat similar to yours; they were very comfortable.

069_zps6b651100.jpg

Love love love love love. Despite the appeal of period-correct German pleating, Recaros are one of the best things you can do for a 2002 you actually drive. I have Recaro SEs in the 3.0CSi and even with my back problems I can drive to and from The Vintage (~800 miles) without pain. The recently-acquired '72tii has Konigs. They're pretty; we'll see if they're as comfortable as the Recaros for the long haul.

Installed them this afternoon.

Had to remove the 5 series mounting brackets (anyone need them?)

IMG_8424.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg

Installed the other brackets from my Vinyl Recaros along with "borrowing" 2 of the strap assemblies for the passenger side until I can order the proper Support/Diaphragms from JJ Custom Interior in Tacoma, WA. The hole spacing is wider on the LX seats so you must bend the U clips a little to make them fit. LX seats have (5) holes, my vinyl Recaros have (6) holes.

IMG_8426.jpg

The camera flash plays tricks on the colors. The are identical.

IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

Here is the ID sticker on the bottom of the driver's seat

IMG_8422.jpg

Just for grins, here is my original driver's side black vinyl Recaro seat bottom with the old webbing

IMG_8427.jpg

Here is the passenger side with Dave Varco's replacement straps.

IMG_8425.jpg

I also noticed that the new Cloth LX seats are lighter than the vinyl ones and they seem to have a higher seating position. That will no doubt make it easier to get in and out as I age!

Another benefit to them is that the backseat passenger assist loops shouldn't flop around while driving with the windows down.