replacing rocker arms

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i am a beginning mechanic with limited experience and i decided to change my head gasket on my 1985 735i i did and when i went to put the timing back i messed up and broke 3 rocker arms i brought them do i have to take that head back off to put these rocker arms on

Guest Anonymous

when you brake a rocker arm you must pull the head. my question is what broke the rocker arm. if you crashed the valves, ie pistons hit the valves, then you need more then rocker arms. the rocker shafts are not reusable. All the rockers need to be replaced ie a box of rockers as you cant buy just one. they get damaged when you knock the rocker shafts out. A machene shop will have to check the head and the valves. ie do a valve job. This is all very complicated but easy. if you have specific questions please email me and I can walk you through it.

Sam

Guest Anonymous

I don't see why you couldn't use them again... last few I took out weren't worn on the rocker areas... mic'd fine.. I always micropolish them back to a new luster though so they don't have varnish on them... no comment on replacing all of the rockers...

Guest Anonymous

to fit my full sizze 20ton press sure just pushes them out.. (non impact is the key) I also run the head ahead of time through a dip tank... most of the varnish is removed from the shafts and permits a much easier removal... they just slide right on out... lemme guess.... you used something like a socket extension on it... mushroomed it and had to drive it through every boss in the head to get it out... and they call me a brute :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

I wish to replace the #2 exhaust arm only. I propose moving the shaft back only far enough to remove #1 and then # 2 and, reverse the process with a replacement #2. Is this a feasible game plan.

Thank You Kindly,

drmc1 in Michigan