Beck180

The great grandchild of the 2002 is now the 4 Series pix

10 posts / 1114 viewsLast Reply

Company photos of the new BMW 4 series have been released:

http://jalopnik.com/5965873/the-bmw-4-series-is-the-new-bmw-3-series-coupe/gallery/1

The 3 series to being split into two sections, the four door will be the 3 series and the two door will be the four series (to fall in line with naming convention of the 5 series and 6 series).

I see it as a way to compete for common folk buyers who like going to Audi dealerships where the naming convention is simpler for their soft brains.

I guess BMW could have avoided this problem decades ago had they given the four door E30 a different name (i.e. 2 series or 4 series).

Someone on the Jalopnik board appropriately acknowledged that when the 3 series began (E21) is was only offered as a two door. Now you can't get a 3 series in a two door.

A hard part for me will be accepting that the name "M3" doesn't mean the same anymore. Now I have to realign my brain to salivate over an "M4."

my soft brain has to ask..

why didnt' they call the FOUR door car the FOUR series?

that would also align with the 6/7 series...the higher number has four doors....

sorry, bmw model naming has not made real sense since the 80's when marketing started engineering engine sizes....

I personally think that's a very very bad decision. People are already identified with the way BMW names it's cars and I can't imagine someone being so "lazy" to understand the way they do it.

I agree with Marshall. Logically, the 4-series should be for the four door. However, I believe they wanted to give the four door (sells better) the advantage of the 3's reputation. I'm sure they've done their due diligence. I love the updated design - akin to the 6GC.

-SkidMarc

Gee. I don't know. It's good looking and all.....

The only one I'm interested in is the new to come out 3 series wagon.

Still can't afford it.

John

Whenever I look at new cars I think about how much of a pain in the ass its going to be for some teenager 30 years from now trying to weld a new exhaust on or trying to figure out wiring.

Gee. I don't know. It's good looking and all.....

The only one I'm interested in is the new to come out 3 series wagon.

Still can't afford it.

John

I agree on the wagons. Next year I will be shopping in the UK for a E30 wagon.

I never buy new, I wait 10 years and find a nice used BMW.

Whenever I look at new cars I think about how much of a pain in the ass its going to be for some teenager 30 years from now trying to weld a new exhaust on or trying to figure out wiring.

They will all be scrap metal!

Just imagine all the electronic nla modules. It will be extremely difficult and expensive to maintain those cars.

We are at a point were cars have become consumables.

Just imagine all the electronic nla modules. It will be extremely difficult and expensive to maintain those cars.

We are at a point were cars have become consumables.

I'm not so sure about that. Why? Caus we all said that when the e28 came out.

If history has shown us anything, it that people will tinker and figger stuff out.

Still.....years ago, my friend Jeff and I had a conversation about would people be restoring these new cars? He had just bought a new 86 CRXsi. We agreed that people would never restore these new cars. When I got my MG Midget it was 14 years old. Everyone knew I was "gonna restore it". Why? It was an old sports car, that's why. Fast forward to 98. I had just bought a real clean, low milage white 87CRXsi. What a wonderful sportscar. I think it must have been about 2000 or so and someone stopped me in a parking lot to ask me what year it was. I said it was an 87. They whistled and said "that's a real classic". It was 12 years old and was very far from needing any kind of restoration. Heck, it could pass for new. Wish I still had it.

Scan22.jpg

I have strayed into the 7series message boards and it looks like people fix those. I even hear people fix and maintain e31's.

Speaking of e31's. This is how you do the heater cores (yes, more than one).

Dash.jpg

My friend Jeff fixing his 750 in my driveway at Christmas years ago.

DSC_0001-3.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

This and people will always want the cars they couldn't have in their youth.

John