sking

88 318ix E30 swap?

13 posts / 1778 viewsLast Reply

Hi all,

I found a decent e30 complete and driving for $1800 locally. I dint know anything about the engine or drive line. ix means awd right? If everything checks out, is this a good swap to give more power? Does the ix drive present a problem?

Another stupid question.....has anyone ever done a engine and tranny swap with an ix car to make your 2002 awd?

Thanks!

Shenton

I´ve heard the trannys are the weak point. "If noise, step away."

There stood a 325iX at the round the corner BMW dealer for 3 year, waiting to find a used tranny s.. A new tranny cost more than a decent car.

there is no such animal as a 318ix

better give us a VIN number - just the

last 7 of the VIN will do

there is no swaping with all wheel drive models - really.

Hi all,

I found a decent e30 complete and driving for $1800 locally. I dint know anything about the engine or drive line. ix means awd right? If everything checks out, is this a good swap to give more power? Does the ix drive present a problem?

Another stupid question.....has anyone ever done a engine and tranny swap with an ix car to make your 2002 awd?

Thanks!

Shenton

As noted above the E30 ix is a 325. I have two of them, an auto and a 5 speed. My understanding is that the front end geometry of the ix is different from all of the other E30s, and consequently you cannot swap the ix drivetrain into any non-ix E30.... at least not without considerable--- and likely cost -prohibitive--- fabrication. I would think the same would hold true for a swap into an '02.

I won't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind, however. ;)

My thought was to find a way to make the '02 body fit over the E30 ix ... but I dont think it has ever been done (to my knowledge) and the result may just be a grotesque Frankenbimmer.

Some genius out there may be able to do it.... but for me I think it is just a fun pipe dream.

I should note that I love those ix'es.... they have a well-deserved reputation as "The Ultimate Snowmobile'! Unstoppable in the snow.

I would LOVE to own one of the 114 325ix BAURS (a perfect year round all-weather vehicle, IMHO!) that were built, but there are none in the US. My friend, Baur Guru Jeroen J. in The Netherlands owns TWO of them!

Now an AWD 2002 would certainly be a blast..... and an AWD 2002 Baur Targa!!!!!.....

Yikes! SSSSSSomebody STOP me!

;)

Baur Guru Jeroen J. in The Netherlands owns TWO of them!

Now an AWD 2002 would certainly be a blast..... and an AWD 2002 Baur Targa!!!!!.....

Jeroen sure know's his stuff! A 2002 awd is a very interesting thing to consider though it would take away part of the 2002 character.

If you could pair an awd system with the M10 that would make for a very good handling car but the M20 with all the AWD goodies will probably make the poor 02 way too nose heavy.

You know,

if you're going to that much trouble, why not go with E46 parts?

Because the E46xi system, with almost- modern traction control and ABS,

is almost unstoppable with decent tires.

THAT would be a project!

t

I guess when I have some real burn money this would be a great project!

My thought was to find a way to make the '02 body fit over the E30 ix ... but I dont think it has ever been done (to my knowledge) and the result may just be a grotesque Frankenbimmer.

Some genius out there may be able to do it.... but for me I think it is just a fun pipe dream.

;)

2002/e30 has been done. (what hasn't?) Bob Balls "2002" race car is E30 under the 02 body panels.

;)

2002/e30 has been done. (what hasn't?) Bob Balls "2002" race car is E30 under the 02 body panels.

Thanks for posting that!

I read several descriptions of the car build... all more or less similar to this:

"Bob's car is a 2002 from behind the firewall to the rear seat. The remainder is a combination of E30M3 and tube frame. The S14 is built well and sometimes sports a dry sump. It is a very cool car, well developed and well driven albeit sometimes controversially. He's o/o the Philadelphia area and its a must see if you ever spot it on the paddock. "

Lordy!

Here is one comment from the builder:

"I always like the question (why did I do it?) It really is quite simple. The BMW is a timeless classic, light weight and exempt from many controls. The Subaru for it's smooth power, low center of gravity and the abundance of parts to be had. Doing this the car will weigh about 100 lbs more than the BMW and 800 to 900 lbs less than the Subaru. The hp with the change to mechanical injection and stand alone ignition on a stock 91 2.2 Subaru will about 150 hp, a number that most BMW 2002 owners work hard to get. I plan on having near or over 200 hp with no turbo or nos when set up the way I want it. No computer or the expensive parts that go with it. Work on it with only the basic hand tools in a near empty engine bay. The donor Subaru was $400. The wheel base is 5" longer and 7" wider. It is quite plane what this will do. Add AWD to the package and most of your questions will be answered.

My favorite reason for doing it is, I want one. The second favorite reason is, it is one of a kind. The next is it will kick butt and be fun to drive.

I have built cars in the past that would kick this car's butt, but they could not get the mpg of this car. The test car that is running the new injection and ignition system when set In the high performance tune got 25 mpg, in econo tune it got 37 mpg and I have something new coming that will give me both with no change of tuning.

There is so much fun to this and only so much page to type on. Oh well, I like building them more than talking about them any way."

BMW 2002 body over a Subaru chassis and drivetrain = AWD "Bemaru'

!!!

I don't know what to say about this one.... but here it is!

post-22228-13667667184771_thumb.jpg

post-22228-13667667186179_thumb.jpg

post-22228-1366766718745_thumb.jpg

post-22228-136676671882_thumb.jpg