Cam tool - again .... and where to buy new head studs?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys:

I'm tying to get back into my engine rebuild project and the last place I left off is getting my 301 Norris cam into my E12 head.

I've seen pictures of different types and checked the archives for more info, but I guess I'm looking for someone to sell me one for a reasonable price (~$50?) or post detailed info on how to make one. I do have a small MIG welder, so I think I could make my own if someone would give me the specs with dimensions.

Thanks for any help!

Andy...

71atlantik

Guest Anonymous

I just installed a cam into the head for my soon-to-be race motor, and never having done it before, had no preconceptions. It was easy, though. I put two bolts into the cam so that I could hold and turn it, and slipped it in first. I put the exhaust rocker shaft in first, from the front, just slipped it through putting rockers, springs, etc on as I went. I rotated the cam so that the rocker being installed always was on the base circle of the lobe. Then did the intake shaft the same way. Use a very soft hammer to push the shaft through the last few inches. Circlips all go on last.

Brian

Guest Anonymous

per Haynes! I was hoping to not have to take the rocker shafts out just to put the cam in. Also, I was thinking I might have a bit of a problem putting in my 301 cam.

I may also want to change out the cam after the engine's in the car and I sure wouldn't want to have to pull the shafts out then.

Thanks guys!

Andy...