e28jay

Any advice on loading and driving with a shell on a trailer?

8 posts / 393 viewsLast Reply

Hey All,

I'm picking up my new to me 72 2002tii shell and I'm looking for some advice.

The shell is completely stripped to just a shell. No doors, hood removed and trunk removed. No interior and no subframes or driveline. Glass still in.

Do you think a group of say 6 guys can lift a shell onto a trailer? Any other ways of loading a shell on to a trailer without a winch? The shell has Zender flares so I don't want to just grab onto the wheel wells and carry it.

Once the shell is loaded onto the trailer, I was a little worried about damaging it in transport. We will only be traveling about 120 miles. Should I place some padding in between the shell and the trailer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to starting the new project.

With six guys it shouldn´t be a problem! I pushed around, lifted one end of and finally lifted a shell onto it´s side by myself a while ago. Although I had cut of the roof by then. But four or six guys should do it without any problems.

Lift one end at the time and snug a 2X4 under each end, then lift the 2x4´swith ropes?

Place the 2X4´s underneath the... what´s the english word.. reinforced parts stretching rearwards from the engine bay. The rear I can´t picture..

But it isn´t a whole lot of weight, really. Shouldn´t be a problem, good luck!

Should be able to load it relatively easy just remember to strap it real good!

No problemo. This 73tii shell was transported from Alexandria, VA to Philadelphia, PA recently. I was surprised how easy it was to get it on to the trailer with (3) guys.

IMG_8271.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8273.jpg

three of us got this shell on the trailer. no glass though.

2012-11-10_11-40-26_203.jpg

agree with above. use 2x4's or 4x4's under shell to protect it from trailer. strap it down really well. you don't want it sliding at all and scraping the bottom.

edit...LOL...Jim and I posted the same pics at the same minute!

...and then secure your 4x4's.

Really.

I dropped a mill onto some 4x6's, strapped it down well, then

bounced my way home

(Seattle area has some pathetically bad streets)

Got home to find that the dunnage had almost snuck its way out

from under the mill.

It's #2800, strapped down tight.

Yet the lumber moved.

I learnt something.

t

Great advice. Thanks guys. I'll be sure to post some pics of our attempt to load this thing then unload it. Should be fun... not really.