sislane

Need Seasoned Advice on Painting process for BWAs

12 posts / 867 viewsLast Reply

The BMAs in your example picture do look painted and if so, the owner probably blasted them, etch primed, painted them 100% silver and then possibly covered them with a sticky film or some other masking material and cut out the areas to be painted black with an exacto knife, then shot the innards black. They could have been hand painted too, but it would be a real non-fun job I would imagine.

I think these wheels, when new, were probably painted black and then had the face machined down and topcoated with clear. I've never had a set of these so I can't be sure.

The BMAs in your example picture do look painted and if so, the owner probably blasted them, etch primed, painted them 100% silver and then possibly covered them with a sticky film or some other masking material and cut out the areas to be painted black with an exacto knife, then shot the innards black. They could have been hand painted too, but it would be a real non-fun job I would imagine.

I think these wheels, when new, were probably painted black and then had the face machined down and topcoated with clear. I've never had a set of these so I can't be sure.

very helpful, thank you!!

He is correct the original finish was a machined face with black inside the web and the center then with a clear coat. I bought a set brand new in 1974.

He is correct the original finish was a machined face with black inside the web and the center then with a clear coat. I bought a set brand new in 1974.

yes, mine still have the machined finish... pretty nice how they did that.

A powder-coater may be able to shoot the prepped wheels black, then brush off the powder from where it is not meant to be before baking.

Anyone know where to get center caps like that. I have the four spoke 14" x 6" BWAs with their original center caps, but the caps are not looking too good.

Anyone know where to get center caps like that. I have the four spoke 14" x 6" BWAs with their original center caps, but the caps are not looking too good.

pretty much everyone is on the hunt for those. I gave up 2 years ago. Someone posted a set for sale on here, about 1 year ago, but insisted on selling the wheels with them. Fortunately, the bmw domed decal fits perfectly over them.

Scott

I just love BWA wheels. If I could have had a set of 13X8 Sportstars I would have.

John