jjbunn

Rear bumper overriders

13 posts / 1394 viewsLast Reply

Here is a photo of one of the extra rear bumper overriders the PO gave me with my '73 O2 (on the left), alongside the trashed original (on the right):

8239208336_9d73a7a234_b.jpg

The original has a cut out for the rubber strip that goes around the bumper, whereas the other doesn't.

Is this even for a 2002? It looks like it will fit only if I remove the rubber strip (which is horribly beaten up anyway).

It's for an earlier model '02, before the rubber trim strip. I think the front and rear are the same. Maybe '71 and earlier.

It's for an earlier model '02, before the rubber trim strip. I think the front and rear are the same. Maybe '71 and earlier.

Thanks, Stu. I think I'll use them after removing the rubber trim.

Thanks, Stu. I think I'll use them after removing the rubber trim.

You will still have problems fitting. The all chrome bumpers are somewhat pointed whereas the newer bumper has a flat edge.

The one on the left is early front.

The ones on the right is late rear.

t

The one on the left is early front.

The ones on the right is late rear.

t

Oh, rats! Perhaps I'll just go overriderless.

I went overriderless on my 1600 and used new carraige bolts that I polished...looks 100x better...the overriders are hideous...IMHO..;-)

-Stephen

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

Stephen - that looks great! I think I'll do the same, if I can find some chrome plated carriage bolts.

I did the same with mine. I used Stainless carriage bolts and just polished a little to give them some shine. If my bumper were perfect they may not look as shiny, but...

Stephen - that looks great! I think I'll do the same, if I can find some chrome plated carriage bolts.

Dave at Aardvarc sells chrome carriage bolts. Or you can use BMW seam covers.

019_zps5833d705.jpg

I did the same with mine. I used Stainless carriage bolts and just polished a little to give them some shine. If my bumper were perfect they may not look as shiny, but...

Yep, that. SS polishes up really nice on a buffing wheel and costs next to nothing. I like the seam covers a lot, but they don't seem (seam?;-) to be worth the money...

oh, and thanks for the compliment!!

-Stephen

Hmmmm, my Swiss cheese memory won't allow me to hold onto such info...;-). I think I just brought a stock one to OSH, since they have a great selection, and matched it up.