Taymar

Driveshaft removal

8 posts / 3531 viewsLast Reply

I'm following along with the Haynes manual but have got stuck. I've unbolted the flex disc from the transmission output flange, and loosened the center support bearing mounts. The output flange now rotates independently of the flex disc, but the driveshaft will not move backwards or drop down from the transmission.

Do I need to remove it from the diff first, or am I missing something? The car's a '75 and looks like the U joints has been cut/welded and the rear section replaced. As best I can tell it's not the sliding type but I've never seen both kinds to compare.

Remove nuts completely from center bearing mount (assume when you said loosen, they are just loose). Hold the driveshaft as when the nuts are removed, it will drop down. The centering pin at the trans output flange will then clear and you are in business.

Ah perfect, thanks ever so much guys.

I really need to see if there's a better alternative to the Haynes manual. I couldn't find anything by Bentley.

You can also buy the Mobile Tradition repair manual from BMW on DVD...Make sure you get the newer one (from what I hear, the older version couldn't work w/ Windows-7, IIRC). It's a nice compliment to this site. Sorry, I don't have a part # for this...

The other comments are correct, remove the center bearing and it should slide right off. We just replaced the Guibo and center bearing on our 69 2002 and if you are doing the same; before you disconnect the shaft to replace the center bearing, make sure you mark the two shafts so it goes back together exactly as before. As per the Guibo, use new bolts and nuts and install the Guibo on the tranny first with the cross member support bar removed and your tranny supported, then work backwards to the differential. We learned the hard way.