post71

high beam switch broke-71

9 posts / 2987 viewsLast Reply

This seems a common for an earlier 2002? it seems and the part is harder to come by. I don't own a wiring guide for this and I should. How can I get by and just have running low beam lights?

I just don't want to short anything,

yellow/white

yellow

red

white

Thanks for the help,

M

switches are the same--and they rarely break unless you catch your coat sleeve on it while entering/exiting the car (ask me how I know this) .

Early cars have individual wires that plug into the switch, while later cars have a plug on the wiring harness end.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a good used one...

mike

Guest Anonymous

you should be able to get even a broken switch into the low beam position and then just leave it there until you get a replacement.

This seems a common for an earlier 2002? it seems and the part is harder to come by. I don't own a wiring guide for this and I should. How can I get by and just have running low beam lights?

I just don't want to short anything,

yellow/white

yellow

red

white

Thanks for the help,

M

I've got one of these high beam stalks for sale too, specifically for an early car with the small end knob. If needed, email jeremybd at yahoo dot com

E-mail response sent to Mike. Two others evidently also need them.

Just for comparison purposes, the stalks in my 69 do not have plugs/sockets like the ones from later models.

IMG_7564.jpg

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7496-1.jpg

(edited)

This is a bit late to the thread. But I had my high beam switch die on me recently. Turns out they're pretty simple switches, you can open up to refurbish.

You just need to bend open those little metal tabs that are holding the plastic piece into the switch. Inside there's really just one moving part that mechanically connects the high and low beam circuits.

Mine was a bit melted (the headlights in general are in bad need of a relay) which caused the spring loaded contact to get stuck in the open position, just needed to chip away some of the melted plastic and free up the contact! Took about 20mins total...

post-45205-0-26926900-1453882071_thumb.j

post-45205-0-50797000-1453882030_thumb.j

https://goo.gl/photos/8CYQtHAZ7yjqagin6

https://goo.gl/photos/sxv1D3LT3dbqtWcK8

Edited by ObiWan

I might have to try this out... It seemed as though my stalk got loose enough that it would contact the high beams with just the slightest pressure (like when you press on the stalk for your turn signal...) so I just took out the fuse for the high beams as someone on the forum suggested... getting into the guts of that switch might prove a better fix than trying to find a new one for my 74...

I just did this fix on my 72, along with the Headlight switch.

They can indeed be pried apart and fixed.  Mine was heavily broken and missing the actual stalk, so I pulled another stalk out of the parts stash and rebuilt the thing.  Its not perfect but Low Beams work and I can make Highs although it doesn't stay up.

Either way it was better than the several hundred $ people were asking for used pieces which may as well break soon anyway.