Stevenc22

Engine oil pan gasket with engine in the car

3 posts / 328 viewsLast Reply

I read the FAQ and it seems like a reasonable procedure. My main question is how high do you lift the motor before the oil pan will clear and come out? I lifted the motor using the oil pan to change the motor mounts and now im leaking everywhere and retightening the bolts didn't do anything. It seems that if you follow the FAQ but don't have the engine high enough you will be SOL once the pan is half off but the engine isn't high enough.

hopefully you didn't damage the oil pan jacking on it. that is a no-no.

engine needs to go up a couple inches. just far enough to slip the gasket under the oil pump.

Just over the driver side motor mount and the passanger side mount unbolted at the engine to allow the motor to rest on the angled plate just at its lip the pan will clear. I used ratcheting tie straps with a proper weight rating overa 4x4 cross beam. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and the pan surface un warped. I used grey RTV and a good slathering at that. If it is still leaking, why was it leaking in the first place is the next question to ask.