ATLBMW

Front parking lights no longer work?

4 posts / 492 viewsLast Reply

Had a front right parking light that didn't work, and bought a replacement bulb. I put it in, and now neither of the front parking lights work, and the drivers side back parking light is out.

The turn signals work of front, however the right side is dim. I understand it is a dual filament bulb, on the parking lights are supposed to be dim while the turn signal is the bright one.

I think the wires are flipped on the front right turn signal, but why would the others go out?

Fuses all look fine...

Going to sound like a broken record here, but check all your grounds again, especially the front parking lamp assembly sheet metal screws, make sure the screws aren't rusty and are getting a clean ground to the fenders., clean your fuse/fuse box contacts ( light sand paper/similar ) and it might be a good idea to take a look at the connections at the inner parking lamp assemblies, those 2 wires that feed into the posts; see if you have clean wiring at the posts, not brittle/frayed/oxidized; could always strip the wire casing back a little to expose cleaner wiring if the ends to the posts are frayed/brittle/oxidized; it's also possible that the wiring is reversed as well on one of the posts; if so, the parking light will be very bright and the blinker when on, will be barely visible., be sure you have the correct bulb/wattage as well, 1157 up front but get the silver base Osram.

Tim

You nailed it - I lightly sanded all the fuse contacts, and replaced all the fuses for good measure, and now all the lights work!

Thank you!

good deal! it's usually something simple with what you described, bad ground, putzing with the fuses. I used to take my front parking light assemblies out each year, check the connections/wiring at the posts and clean the inner lense., would do the same with the fuse box, although usually every other year, disconnect the battery and clean the fuse holders by just lightly sanding.

Tim