• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Depressing

deasonbrown

One of the reasons I don't miss living down there. Like Chris said, check out our site & join us for some gatherings come spring. You're surrounded by 02ers! Gatherings, drives and events ar ealways posted on our website, as well as on our FB page.

Congrats on the 02-

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind replies and support.

In MA the sales tax is based not upon the sale price but the NADA low valuation of the car. Its been like that for awhile and I expected it. Sometimes the valuation is below the price you paid, so I guess thats a win.

What I didn't expect was a valuation so obviously out of whack with reality. I planned on maybe a max valuation of 5000$ for it, I can live with that I guess. The NADA value is 10,150 for the car I looked it up a dozen different ways. This is a car that literally has holes in it.

Here's the scary thing, they could have valued it at 50000$ and I would have no recourse. If I walk in a electronics store and buy a 1000$ computer I know I will pay 67.50$ tax. With cars here now I guess looking up the NADA valuation is part of the buying process, sad. Was going to buy a welder with that money.

We just wrote a 400$ check to the Commonwealth for lapsed health insurance too.

Truth really is stranger than fiction.

That's insane!

The last 2002 I bought was in Mass and I paid $500 for it. When I went to register it I paid the tax only on $500. This was 2007 or 2008 but not that long ago.

For what it's worth (yeah I know you aren't supposed to do this) I keep all the VIN plates, stamps, etc. (including engine blocks) from all my older cars. Unless I were to ever buy a show-quality car I'd probably just cheat and re-register one of my older VINs just so I don't have to go through that BS.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

When I brought my BMW title in they asked why I paid 1000 bucks for it, told em it didnt run and they didnt ask any questions. My 86 pickup I bought for 550 bucks and they asked why so cheap and I told em it was pretty beat up, no questions again. WA just wants a reason.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Cut off in NC is 1977, below which all cars are considered antique.They did't force it until this year. I was able to reduce the value from 24K to 10K by showing Hagerty's estimates which was around 6-7 K for a fair car, but they ended up using NADA's low value which is around 10K, still too much but I can live with ~$100 for this year. So, fight to reduce the initial tax as much as you can since it will go down slightly in the years that will follow. I heard one gentleman trying to negotiate his old Mercedes' tax in the next window, he said to tax woman " you are watching too many car auction shows on cable"

Just checked my annual Georgia registration fee for my '73 and the Ad Valorum Tax portion was $3.40!!

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

I had a problem like this when I registered my 1980 Mercedes, the value in the NADA book was much higher than what I paid for the car. Even though I purchased from a used car dealer and had official paperwork from them with the sale price, dealer number, etc., MA would only use the NADA value because I had purchased the car from a dealer in NJ.

I have never had any problems registering an 02 in MA however, and they have always used the price paid on the Bill of sale from previous owner, and that price is always $500 because I always have the seller create a bill of sale with that price. Generally the DMV can't find the value of the car in the NADA book because it doesn't list vintage cars. I have a feeling the DMV saw 'BMW 2002' on your paper work and assumed it was a newer BMW from the year 2002 and based the tax value on that.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Same thing happened to me when I bought my Cortina GT project car. Went to register, they had no listing in the NADA (despite having my bill of sale). They called up another place and said it was a $15K car........I said hell no, I couldn't buy it if it was that much, I told them it was project car, no engine, needing lots of work, new interior etc......they they accepted my Bill of sale Value........I was like HOLY SH*T, the tax will cost me more than the car!!

-Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

NADA now has values for old cars.

NADA has always had an old car value guide, however in 33 years of living in MA, I've never seen the DMV use the guide.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

In the state of MD, they tax 6% of sales price OR minimum $640.

Its still too much,, and oh, by the way, one has to wait in line 1/2 day

I don't think the minimum part is true. I bought a $3,500 car in April and the MVA bill including two years registration was only $330.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2