89e30

Does the water pump have to be primed?

7 posts / 623 viewsLast Reply

Hey everyone,

I just replaced my water pump and swapped intake manifolds. Everything is back together, and the engine starts and runs great, however, no coolant seems to be circulating. I started my engine and assumed that once the thermostat opened coolant would begin to circulate. My radiator is full, and i partially filled one of the upper hoses.

Do i need to prime the waterpump or something? Or is this perhaps a bad thermostat?

Thanks!

Nick

Guest Anonymous

no, but there may be air in the system - there has been lots written about bleeding the air out - did you do a search yet?

nope.

Turn the heat on, though, and try raising the nose of the car.

Sometimes there will be an air bubble trapped in the t- stat, and it will not

want to open the first time.

Often, the t- stat will be bad out of the box.

I boil 'em first nowdays, and then drill a tiny hole in for bleeding.

Seems to work.

t

+1 with the hole in the thermostat. 2mm through the bottom plate. Fill up slowly. If you have waterchoke carb then disconnect hose at choke housing to help bleed any air out of the head while you fill

+1 with the hole in the thermostat. 2mm through the bottom plate. Fill up slowly. If you have waterchoke carb then disconnect hose at choke housing to help bleed any air out of the head while you fill

When i took off my lower radiator hose, There was quite a bit of air trapped. This is probably because the front of the car is sitting 4 inches lower in the front than rear right now!

I'll level the car off, bleed some air and give it another go. Thanks!

i just took off and painted my rad refilled the system - had the same issue, wouldn't flow - turned on heat and raised the car and rev'd and it did the trick very quickly, i also squeezed the lower hose, careful to not catch the fan. chuck