ATLBMW

Parking lights vs. turn signal

5 posts / 729 viewsLast Reply

When I turn on the parking lights, all the lights on the front and back that are supposed to come on, with one exception: the front right side marker/turn signal light.

That said, when I turn on the right signal this light flashes. When I turn on the hazards this light flashes. So what do i need to fix to get this light to come on and stay on with the parking lights?

It's all the same bulb, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any ideas?

Om American spec cars that's a dual element bulb. There are 2 hot wires going to the assembly.

Have fun,

So is the trick to unplug one wire at a time, try the turn signal, and establish which one is which? Then, follow the wire for the parking light back to the fuse box and look for cuts/problems?

Guest Anonymous

No, one filament in the bulb is probably broken. Buy a new bulb.

A little front marker light / turn signal trivia:

Parking lights should be the dim 5w filament / bulb.

Turn signals should be the brighter 21w filament / bulb.

For me, it's usually trial and error when installing the wires.

Some US cars have two bulbs, but most US cars have a single dual filament bulb.

Also (depending on switch and build date) If you shut the ignition off while the turn signal is operating - it switches voltage from the 21w circuit to the 5w parking light circuit on that side. A clever Euro touch for parking on narrow streets - it only illuminates the street side of the car when parked. Most of my cars have had this feature (all of them were pre 74 US cars).

Get QUALITY German bulbs - silver based OSRAM brand. Those brass base "made in China" bulbs are complete crap. OSRAM easily available from the usual BMW parts vendors. After sitting for 14 years in a barn - only ONE of the German bulbs (in the tag light) of the F Bomb failed to work. Testament to the quality of the German bulbs!

Also (and this is important!) - since the phillips screws that hold the assembly to the fender are the only ground to the light - make sure it's clean and snug before chasing your tail diagnosing electrical problems.