oil breather/PCV/blowby solution?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Right now I have a breather hose straight from the valve cover to the air filter base. It burns about a quart of oil every 500 miles. Can anyone recommend a breather box to use for this setup?

Thanks,

Will

75 Fjord

Smyrna, GA

Guest Anonymous

if your problem is oil consumption:

find/fix leaking gaskets

do leakdown test could also be:

valve seals, rings

actually the valvecover to aircleaner base will help seal your rings, by venting the case and is the best set up.

Guest Anonymous

before I get to this reliable old beast. Can't I put an oil separator in the line between the valve cover and carb? From the looks of the air filter it is sucking an awful lot in. . .

I know when I get to this engine I will have to go all out, hi-comp pistons, head work etc. and I need to advance in my career quite a bit before that bill hits. . . right now I am holding off the urge to go with the dual dellorto setup. . . by the way that Alfa1750 guy offered to sell those things with venturis of my choosing if I tell him before the ebay purchase. Hmm. . .

Guest Anonymous

www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com

they both have "catch tanks" for under $20 w/petcocks on the bottom that you should be able to use and then just re-insert the oil back in the motor... : )

yeah that alfa guy promised my carbs were all "excellent and ready to run"... nope, not close.

all needed rebuilds and one even had stuck jets etc due to the bad corrosion. You get around to doing a set holler at me.

ps what type vw motors you building. I have most of an 1835 aircooled for cheap.

Guest Anonymous

Some folks just run a a long hose down into the tranny tunnel and let nature take it's course. Whether or not you decide to run a catch tank your motor will run better without the breather going to the intake.

Jonathan T.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

my friend has the set up from a local racer supply store that is very similar to Summit's . I bought a little K&N breather for the top of a home-made rig that is not yet finished. Probably cheaper to buy the whole rig from Summit, screw it to a side and you're done and clean in the eng. bay.I dont know about using that oil again in the engine- i suppose it is o.k., but,....You can see in the picture, I am running the same way you are right now

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Britt,

you seem to be good at talking behind the back.you were offered a complete refund but you refused it.try resolving things directly and not behind the back-its not a good way to go.