Collinster742002

Carlene, my 1998 Volvo

5 posts / 1188 viewsLast Reply

Why not make a project blog for my car? I'm always working on it, anyway.

Meet Carlene, my 1998 Volvo S70 T5. She's got 220,000 miles on the original engine, turbo, and transmission, and keeps on going. Got it for free from my brother because it needed a LOT of work. I'll start with this weekend's catastrophe...

0212111532-1.jpg

Frontplate.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Heater hose explosion!

breakdown.jpg

The replacement of the stupid plastic piece:

IMG_1077.jpg

The one on the left exploded.

Whole interior comes apart to get to the heater core:

IMG_1076.jpg

Replacement silicone o-rings for the pipes. Why not?

IMG_1083.jpg

Where the hoses go in an S70 Turbo. Royal PITA.

IMG_1086.jpg

It lives afterwards!

IMG_1087.jpg

I added side markers from a later C70, my car is now a 99 without the 99 crap! (grille badge, side markers and windshield washers are the best improvements)...

Before:

photo_zps8ae7229c.jpg

After: photo.jpg

A good highway safety improvement.

This weekend I'm changing inner and outer tie rods and getting an alignment and 2 new tires, all way overdue. the inner/outer tie rods have never been changed on this car, it steers like a boat.

I know it's a "modern" car, but she's getting old! :P

i used to work in a Volvo-SAAB shop thats wear i learned alot about all things swedish. Love those V-cars. the only week link is there interior dash board seem to crumble apart and squeek. probably the easyist heater cores to replace. engine oil traps are kinda off a pain. but other then that pretty awesome car! if you get a chance to drive a 2006 and later 9.3 v6 turbo 4 door i think you will really like it. But SAAB parts are becoming obsolete really quik.

i used to work in a Volvo-SAAB shop thats wear i learned alot about all things swedish. Love those V-cars. the only week link is there interior dash board seem to crumble apart and squeek. probably the easyist heater cores to replace. engine oil traps are kinda off a pain. but other then that pretty awesome car! if you get a chance to drive a 2006 and later 9.3 v6 turbo 4 door i think you will really like it. But SAAB parts are becoming obsolete really quik.

I fixed that cursed dash rattle. It's not as commonplace on the S70 vs. 850's, but still happens. The heater core is indeed very easy to replace; PCV isn't too bad (done it 4 times on this car)- I love mine because it's pre-ETM and all that funky Ford crap.

I have driven one of those, they're very nice.

I also own a 1980 Saab 900 Turbo with 285k on it :)

2 brand new continental DWS tires photo2.jpg, new inner/outer tie rods/steering boots, front end alignment, ALL NEW cooling, vacuum and turbo hoses and my baby's running like a dream.

Got 30.5 mpg today on a 150 mile trip...not too shabby at all.

Edging very close to the 220k mark... :D

Cops used her as a barrier the other day when I was a witness to a 3 car pile up. I had to hand them the keys legally... that was strange! All is well now.

E0FF11B4-82A8-457F-B971-28D371616BAA-310-000000178F9E8C93.jpg