radio9phs

Radiator on 1976 automatic, tranny fluid hoses

4 posts / 426 viewsLast Reply

I am collecting parts and de-cluttering my 1976 automatic in anticipation of a five speed swap. I just removed a fan, small radiator, and I think a condensor from the front of the car, all parts of a no longer complete or functional air conditioning system. I had to pull the car's main radiator in order to get these AC parts out.

I noticed that the main radiator has two hoses at the bottom for cooling the transmission fluid.

My question is: After I swap out the auto for a five speed, can I just disconnect the tranny fluid cooling hoses and keep using the same radiator, or do I need a new radiator?

Yes, you can use the same radiator, but you might want to find a way to cap off the two openings in the bottom tank to keep junk out, though I don't think much of anything would find its way in there.

Measure the i.d. and check for some plastic plugs that would seal the hole. Here's a link to some:

http://www.alliance-express.com/push-fit-plastic-plugs

Bob Napier

Mine have been open for years without any problems , plastic caps or chewy gum if ya worried about open tubes.Bet ya wont be going back to an Auto Ill say that much . It sure makes it easier fitting a 5 speed when your using a car with a auto in it to start with , trhat extra room really helps.

Mine have been open for years without any problems , plastic caps or chewy gum if ya worried about open tubes.Bet ya wont be going back to an Auto Ill say that much . It sure makes it easier fitting a 5 speed when your using a car with a auto in it to start with , trhat extra room really helps.