• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Exhaust Part 2

Stu

The factory idea was to let the exhaust move around pretty freely to

reduce stress on the exhaust pipe. And the bracket at the back

of the transmission was designed to actually HELP it move.

With stock engine mounts, this isn't a bad idea, and also keeps

noise transmisson to a minimum.

Now, if you change things, then 'tightening up' the exhaust makes

good sense- it DOES flop around a lot.

On the street cars, I use the stock system, even on non- stock exhaust parts.

But then, I use soft stock motor mounts, too.

On the race cars (yes, there is now more than one) I've strapped the

exhaust down pretty tight.

Seems to work.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As further refinement to my post, the real issue with my exhaust (not just the location of the exit pipe) was the rotation of the rear pipe section, between the resonator pipe and rear muffler pipe. The resonator pipe itself bolts up nicely to the downpipe, and the resonator fit very well, no issues.

The section of pipe between the resonator and rear muffler (which goes over and around the subframe) is, as you all know, clamped onto the resonator pipe. It's a very nice fit (pipe to pipe), and I tightened, and re-tightened, and tightened again, the clamp, but this rear section of pipe still rotated down after driving the car a bit. I did get it to fit perfectly, but it wouldn't stay there. There is nothing in the stock mounts (the bracket off the transmission, or the rear hangers) that will stop this rotation.

The two mounts I added cured the problem. The exhaust pipe now stays where it's supposed to be. I am very happy.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I have been very vocal over the years about the issue of having to maintain this system.. whether it be welding the pipe back on at the resonator due to splitting, welding the muffler at the hangers from the can tearing, etc..

e3faa171.jpg

What ever we have been tolerating, its because we all desperately want the same end. That is, a stainless system, one that sounds refined, is easily removable at a later date, and fits without modification to the car. All of which this one is/does, essentially.

I can get mine spot on, as mentioned above. and yes, just the same, it ALWAYS moves. So, I have decided this. Once I get off my butt and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-set the pipes, I am adding stubby set screws at each joint, on two sides. If it moves after that, I'm out.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

As further refinement to my post, the real issue with my exhaust (not just the location of the exit pipe) was the rotation of the rear pipe section, between the resonator pipe and rear muffler pipe. The resonator pipe itself bolts up nicely to the downpipe, and the resonator fit very well, no issues.

The section of pipe between the resonator and rear muffler (which goes over and around the subframe) is, as you all know, clamped onto the resonator pipe. It's a very nice fit (pipe to pipe), and I tightened, and re-tightened, and tightened again, the clamp, but this rear section of pipe still rotated down after driving the car a bit. I did get it to fit perfectly, but it wouldn't stay there. There is nothing in the stock mounts (the bracket off the transmission, or the rear hangers) that will stop this rotation.

The two mounts I added cured the problem. The exhaust pipe now stays where it's supposed to be. I am very happy.

I have that same rotation issue. SO I have to kind of adjust it every now and then. But thena again I put about 2-3k miles a month on my 02. A word of warning about making he back section of the exhaust to tight. As the engine moves around and that back sectin of the exhaust stays firm it will cause stress at the welds on the downtube. And cause stress cracks on the stainless downtube. Things need to be pretty uniform across the board on that exhaust. I love the IE stainless system. I have had to doa few minor mods but overall a great system at an very good price

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I have been very vocal over the years about the issue of having to maintain this system.. whether it be welding the pipe back on at the resonator due to splitting, welding the muffler at the hangers from the can tearing, etc..

I have been equally as vocal (or so I thought) about clarifying that the exhaust that you keep showing a picture of from time to time IS NOT the same system IE now sells (as shown in the picture below, which happens to be my car). There has been a fair amount of positive feedback on the system in the last while because IT DOES fit and hold up much better (albeit with the caveat about the '02 being a 40 year old car now), so the recent rash of positive feedback (Wegweiser, myself, and others) is not without warrant.

It took me two adjustments before everything settled in place. The pipe going over the rear subframe can be tricky, in part due to the fact its relation to the subframe will change very slightly from when the car is in the air to when its sitting on the ground. What worked for me was not just the side to side angle of the pipe but rather adjusting the forward to rear position via the slip fits.

02ssexhaust.jpg

You do know the stock center hole for the exhaust is not in the center of the car!!

It depends on the year: at least for U.S. models, round taillight cars have right-side exhausts, square taillight cars have center exhausts although they retain a vestigial "cut-out" at the right side of the rear valance. On these square taillight cars, blank metal fills the right side cut-out from the factory (unless, of course, someone attempted to fit an early exhaust to a later car, as happened to mine in 1978 by the ham-fisted dealer and, apparently, Stu's car at some point).

Steve

Edit 11-28-12: (1.) early square taillight cars came with the right-side exhaust; I don't know the switchover date (?'75 models?); (2.) the center exhaust, after "that" date, may have included some non-U.S. cars -- e.g., the 2002 Turbo moved from a right to a center exhaust during its production.

My point is that even the "center" exit exhaust is not in the center

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

That is a early car that someone cut the hole in the center not just to the right of center that's why it won't line up!!!!!! Ask me how I know about this... Sigh

Edit cut it to far to the right!!! You can see the org. Punch out all the way to the right!!

Scott B.

That is a early car that someone cut the hole in the center not just to the right of center that's why it won't line up!!!!!! Ask me how I know about this... Sigh

Edit cut it to far to the right!!! You can see the org. Punch out all the way to the right!!

That is not correct. My car is a '76. The original punch out is the center one. A prior owner must have puched out the side hole at some point, thinking they could install a side exit exhaust.

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

You do know the stock center hole for the exhaust is not in the center of the car!!

My point is that even the "center" exit exhaust is not in the center

Sorry, Scott. I missed your point the first time around!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ok I'm not with my 76 and sorry for being so sure of myself but from that picture it looks to far right.. And I can't see the lip on the cutout.. I will have to look at my 76 when I get home! Eather way when installed correctly the exhausts fit great!!! But do take some thought!!

Scott B.

Yeah, who knows, maybe it's not where it's supposed to be. I guess the point is, I am fine with it, am very happy with the exhaust, and am not criticizing IE because it doesn't line up on my car.

The hot tip for spacing it in the tight spots is a rag. Folded to about 3/4" thickness, wedge it in between the pipe and the subframe and then tighten the three bolts up front. check the front to back spacing by looking at the stretch on the hangers, and test fitting the tail pipe. Add another rag at the top of the tail pipe, flatten the bend around the diff, and then sinch the clamps tight. re adjust the tail as needed.

And Ace, I was referring to the slippage, which is still an issue.. The OP here made that clear with the extent of the work he went to to remedy it.

I'm not trying to unsell your product, bark at the OP. In fact, I even reinvested in one of the 'new' tail sections. (YEP) That's how much I want this to work!

It's been in my garage for a year, hanging on the wall.. Because on the stock hangers, it's not even close. It points to the diff on the inboard end, and presses the muffler into the gas tank. -not to mention the tail pipe. I sent someone in the IE camp pics and they had no explanation, said "...take it to a shop that can bend it. They all need work to fit correctly." ?!? After the redesign, one would assume a clean fit, right?!. I was going to buy the center section next, but I just have been dealing with what I have.

Individual experiences may vary.

I have been equally as vocal (or so I thought) about clarifying that the exhaust that you keep showing a picture of from time to time IS NOT the same system IE now sells (as shown in the picture below, which happens to be my car). There has been a fair amount of positive feedback on the system in the last while because IT DOES fit and hold up much better (albeit with the caveat about the '02 being a 40 year old car now), so the recent rash of positive feedback (Wegweiser, myself, and others) is not without warrant.

It took me two adjustments before everything settled in place. The pipe going over the rear subframe can be tricky, in part due to the fact its relation to the subframe will change very slightly from when the car is in the air to when its sitting on the ground. What worked for me was not just the side to side angle of the pipe but rather adjusting the forward to rear position via the slip fits.

02ssexhaust.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

02ssexhaust.jpg

Don't you ever get tired of defending the Ireland stuff? I have some things from you guys and i am happy with the quaility. But when someone has problems or issues with your products and lets everyone else know about it, the last thing I want to read is an IE employee's opinion.

69 2002

1983 320is black

1983 320is white

1976 2002 green

01 325xit

Small white Toyota pickup

Ural 650 with sidecar

Past cars:

320is x5

320i x 3

2002 round x 3

2002 square x 6