Gbare02tii

Coilover shock fitment question (HELP)

11 posts / 3741 viewsLast Reply

I am doing research to do the front coilover set up with my shortened Tii strut tubes.

How do I make sure I get the right shock insert?

..I am looking to do the Rabbit MK1 Billy sports,

Does anyone have a part number?

Is there a "cheaper" shock insert that will work just as well?

(this will be a track/DE car, not a stanced out show car so performance comes 1st, not looks)

I was asked at the local parts store if they were internal or externaly sleeved..Any help would be awsome!

Thanks, Greg

Thanks but I don't see any details on the shocks, no part numbers or discription ..I am not going to buy anything from IE...Thanks for your help..

Hmm, maybe its showing up differently for you....

Part number was:

02racebilstein

Description was:

"Our Bilstein short front inserts are valved for racing and are shorter than stock shocks to fit inside shortened strut housings.

Includes proper fitting gland nut and seal."

I'm sure if you called, any other questions you had would be answered. You'd get something ready to work with your setup (ever see the price for the proper gland nuts by themselves?). I guess I'm a bit confused, you wanted the shocks for a shortened coil-over setup, correct? Is that not what I linked (if not, I guess the coffee must have have hit my blood stream yet today)?

Of course if you wanted to try and source from another place.... well that's your call.

I know I posted the part numbers some years ago. Here's something I found by searching, you should verify these numbers but they seem correct IFIRC.

A1 Golf Bilstein Sport Front

(P30.0032) 1979 - 92, Rabbit/Jetta MK1

Strut Cap (Gland Nut)

2002tii Strut Caps = B30-U226 A1

I used the search

site:bmw2002FAQ.com bilstein rabbit

in Google

EDIT: Ahhh--you beat me to it. Here is another link:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,368307/highlight,/sid,82dda7452110488427da75cebf4a8333/

EDIT #2: Note sure about that P30.023 part number above. I think that is for a stock BMW strut. I believe P30.0032 is correct for the shorter Rabbit sport insert.

--Fred '74tii & '69GT3

Thanks guys..I needes the Factory Part number..I was looking at the Email on phone and must have missed it...Thanks for your help..I see it now!

Good question. I just use the standard 2002 Bilstein Sport with my 8" rear springs. Never had any problem with bottoming, but there is likely a more optimal setup. --Fred

Does anyone have information about the length difference between these shock inserts:

-BMW E10 original (i have and i can do a measurement if needed)

-BMW E30 45mm

-VW Golf/Rabbit

I will need a insert as short as possible for E10 front strut.

Thanks.

-Tony

I never measured, but

the rear inserts for the very early MR2 are

both short and stiff, and have very decent travel

for their tube length.

t