mrdew

My new parts hauler : )

7 posts / 1267 viewsLast Reply

While shopping for car parts (usually used) at swap meets, auctions, etc. I always find myself going to the truck one to many times to drop something off. So while I have always wanted something to haul around smaller parts I never really did anything about it until I went to the last auction I was at.

They auctioned off a "Rex Jet" wagon. I have never herd of the brand but to me it just looked pretty cool and I wanted it, so well I won. It had a flat tire that was in disrepair and the wagon was in poor shape its self, so rather than attempting a poor restore on something that I was going to use for hauling rusty bits and pieces around in we took car of it last night. This is what we came up with.

The wagon started like this...here it shows only three wheels but it used to have four of them at one time.

11jvrtk.jpg

Then it got stripped, luckily I soaked everything in rust penitrant (sp?) the night before so all the bolts except for one came out fairly easily.

35aozl5.jpg

While I was working on stripping ; ) by buddy who came over to help painted the whitewalls on the new tires that I picked up from Tractor Supply which fit on 1/2" axles and use ball bearings. I believe each wheel is rated for 40-50 lbs but that doesn't really matter.

2njxbgk.jpg

also a new rear axle...

wtm6w.jpg

While my friend continued to paint I worked on the frame, all nuts and bolts because I do not have a welder.

The finished product : )

15yc1hy.jpg

For some reason the rear is my favorite.

kxiyv.jpg

2afgb6e.jpg

2rx8rc8.jpg

The scary part is going in and out of the driveway it doesn't scrape : P

:laugh:

...you have farrrrr too much free time on your hands....

very cool.

t

Hope you weld a cross piece at the rear so that nasty tube end doesn't cut someone's ankle.

yahh, you need a welder.

t

Yes, I need a welder horribly but for nuts and bolts and being done in one night I don't think it turned out too bad. Especially with no plans to do it.

The rear metal doesn't protrude past the rear tires.... And i don't believe anyone's ankles are that low haha.