Mike_R

Mileage numbers

11 posts / 798 viewsLast Reply

So I seem to be getting about 20 mile per gallon on my mostly local lead foot driving. I still see some of you guys saying you get 25 -30mpg on a 35 + year old car. How does that happen? I have a fresh engine, Weber 32/36 new jets, 282 cam & 8.5:1 compression, low pressure electric fuel pump with no return. It runs great & pulls past 80 so I am not complaining just wondering.

20 for spirited around-town driving is probably about right for your setup. I get in the low 20s around town, not driving too hard, with a stock engine and 1-barrel Solex. I consistently got 27-28 mpg highway with the 4-speed, and 29-30 with the 5-speed.

-Dave

My subura gets better numbers and is faster on River road but big tires and AWD make the difference. 74 02, A/C, ft spoiler, progressive springs ,steins, "2.25 exhaust w/o center muffer, header from JC Whitney (1986) dual 40's ,head work, 300 Norris cam,and stock dissy =23-25 on I 90 ( if you know the I 90 U Know that 75 is seldom see and 83 is safe on the Plains,100 is a bit loud) town low 20's

15 ...18 stop and go town driving is normal for your car

no one gets 25+ for city driving.

25+/- is normal for your sustained highway miles

I get even worse. 14-17 MPG city spirited driving. 20 on the highway.

Stock Tii with 4 Speed and 3.64 diff. Engine has been tuned multiple times at Casey Motorsports. I have heard my MPG isn't unheard of with Tiis

25 around town "spirited" between 20 & 22 all day long , have got 27 when driving normal around town but no better on the freeway as I'm up in the RPM range I guess . Twin 45 Dellortos , 292 Cam, Crane Fireball ignition , Ireland stepped header , port matched head & a 4 speed. All tuned with the wide band 02 sensor.Sounds like a lean recipe but it runs brilliant.

45 Dellortos

36 Chokes

115 Main Jets

180 Air Correctors

60 Idle Jets

42 Pump Jets.

check your speedo 10 miles and see if the speedo is accurate,tire size? 185 70 13 is shorter than 165 13 ,205 60 13 shorter yet. 195 65 14 taller

My Speedo was dyno checked & perfect , since I put in my silver dollar gauge cluster I am 10% fast, mileage checked over a 6 month period with the correct speedometer. I am going to fatten up the mains as it leans out under hard acceleration , our gas has lost more octane here in Ca !

Stock '76 4-speed, Solex carb, 49-state version with emissions equipment operative. For 100,000+ miles, virtually no change: 16-18 mpg around town and 22-25 mpg highway. Just had engine balanced and blueprinted. 1,500 miles into that, mileage remains consistent with pre-rebuild numbers. I expect some improvement but it may be offset by increased revs.

Steve