POLL: how many are in BMW CCA? Why or why not? :)

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Love the 2002 column, Tech talk and the features. Most of the rest of it is not too interesting to me, though I do like some of the racing stories. They never write about my car (6-series) and seem to hate my dream BMW (8-series), so other than my interest in 2002s they don't do much that interests me. Lots of pretty cars I can't afford and lately lots of ugly ones I wouldn't be caught dead sitting in.

Thought the Oct Fest issue was the best--it was wall-to-wall 02s!

Guest Anonymous

but the bonus of price reductions on parts at the dealer is a big bonus as well...

Mike Self always writes a story about 02's...so your guaranteed at least one 02'ish story every time...

it can't get any better than that...=)

-dave

Guest Anonymous

Ok, its not that I can't remember back to the mid-'80s, I just can't remember what year I joined!

Not as happy with the Roundel as in the past - a bit too polished and professional now. Can't imagine not being a member though.

Karl

Guest Anonymous

I bought my first 2002 in the fall of 1984, red 1970., then "joined the club" early 1985. I share Karl's view as far as the current Roundel goes, nice to see 2002's, Neue Klasse, E-12's, E-3's, E-9's and vintage BMW articles/feature stories now and then though. I usually go right to the classifieds and then to Mike's '02 cents and Joe Chamberlain's stories. We (The Genesee Valley Chapter) also receive a quarterly newsletter, "Der Bayerische Brief", covers local events, holiday parties, picnics, etc.. and has a small classifieds section.

Tim

'74 2002

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

...And I'd agree it's mostly the Roundel that keeps me paying my dues. It's not always completely relevant to me (I'm not into a lot of the racing coverage, and I'll probably not be buying a 2003-model BMW until at least 2023 or later), but it's entertaining.

Going to O'Fest 2002 was a great opportunity, even if it was expensive.

However, my local chapter is largely disappointing. I have only seen one other roadgoing '02 in the area (he's not really a BMW guy and is the one asking $3800 for the blown-engine hulk). I have trouble relating to the other guys, most of whom are older, drive newer BMWs and have way more disposable income than I do. Chapter meetings seem to consist mostly of racing or speeding stories and inside jokes. Granted, my city is yuppieville, but there's also an age difference between me and most '02ers (I'm only 24), and somehow we get past that more easily.

I'm trying to participate at a few shows and clinics, but I'd rather spend my money going to an '02 function; I feel much more at home among my '02 brethren (and sistern!). Still, I'll keep paying my dues.

My dad, by the way, was CCA member #971, joining way back in 1971 or '72.

-Dave

Colorado '71