NullZwei

Door Fitting 101

3 posts / 608 viewsLast Reply

Rather than having my original doors repaired a third time, I decided to bite the bullet and buy two new Mobile Tradition doors. Although the new doors look like exact replacements, they certainly don't fit that way. The original doors fit perfectly in every respect and required no shims for alignment. The new doors however appear to need, at the very least, some shims at the hinges and possibly even some tweaking beyond my level of expertise to fit properly. Has anyone here tried to fit Mobile Tradition doors themselves and if so, is there any advice you'd care to offer? I tried searching but my search skills suck so if this topic has been covered previously and you have a link, please post it. Thanks!

On page 55 of Mike Macartney's book "BMW 02 Restoration Guide", it shows a picture of a new door with the bracing where the wing window meets the door window to relieve tension on the door. The caption under the picture would lead you to believe it's on both doors, but on page 53, the book talks about this being a problem with the left hand doors only, with the front of the door lining up fine, but the rear edge of the door doesn't line up with the quarter panel.

Thanks Tom. I just read the section of Macartney's book you referenced. However, this passage concerns the left door and the issue(s) I have at the moment is with the passenger door. The gaps front and rear are pretty decent but the door is in about 1/8" at the bottom front to back, slightly proud at the upper front corner and way proud at the upper rear corner. It's almost as if this door has a twist in it like the left one Macartney mentions. I also noted the curvature of the door skin on the leading edge of the door does not exactly match the curvature of the adjacent fender. I'm almost thinking the jig used to assemble the new doors is off. Considering what these doors cost, I really expected a much better fit then this and I'm not inclined to think the left one is going to be any better.