Sign in to follow this  
02fanatic

The End of an Era...Formula 1 on Speed!

5 posts / 738 viewsLast Reply

Some of you may have been on the various BMW message boards long enough to remember back in the '90's when many of us were screaming at our local cable tv companies to carry Speedvision, then it was Speed Channel, now it's simply "Speed"....well today marks the end of Formula 1 coverage on Speed by that outstanding trio of Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, and Steve Matchett...and of course Sam Posey (from day one!), and others along the way, since the first F1 race covered in 1996 by Speedvision.

I know nothing stays the same forever, but I will miss Speed's "personalized coverage" of F1 by these guys! Looks like NBC is taking over the coverage next year....David Hobbs and Steve Matchett will be going to NBC (which is great!), but somehow I know it just won't be the same.

John

I agree, i'm pretty sad to see SPEED's coverage coming to an end. I've heard that the SKY coverage in Europe is really good, but honestly, between practice, qualifying, and then the race I think that's actually enough for me. Here's to hoping that NBC keeps about the same level/type of coverage, but time will tell. Curious to see if Bob Varsha will make the jump too, but seems somewhat unlikely as he does so much other stuff for SPEED. Being the geek that I am, I really enjoy Steve Matchett's insights and also have enjoyed his "Chalk Talk" sessions on the web site; just amazing to see the lengths these teams go to and the technologies they employ.

The 2012 F1 season was the most exciting, interesting F1 championship that I can recall since I began watching F1 in the early 80's. I hope next season's coverage and competition are equally amazing. Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs will be a tough act to follow.

The final "Formula 1 Debrief" on Speed aired tonight (12-1-12) at 10:00pm Eastern Time, and I'm glad I caught it...even Sam Posey was in Charlotte for the final gathering of this iconic team! Sad to see it go.....