Sign in to follow this  
Collinster742002

Well crap :( Daily driver breakdown.

6 posts / 833 viewsLast Reply

I was out driving home after pulling into the neighborhood from black friday weekend shopping and I got a text to pick up some cough medicine. I almost made it home. I accelerated to 60 after the person in front of me turned left and heard POP! followed by a huge trail of steam behind my car. I immediately pulled her over and shut the motor off. The top heater hose came out of the yellow clamp thingy and dumped all of my coolant in less than 4 feet.

Had her towed home, hopefully my head and turbo are not cracked...there is coolant everywhere.

The car, inside and out, has sticky, nasty coolant everywhere. Tow truck driver was really nice. My engine cranks way too fast and does not start, not good....

post-20861-13667666822108_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Esty burned you pretty good there. Reading a text is as bad as sending one. At least you pulled over. I have to use playlists on my phone because fooling with music is such a distracting pita and streaming music is by far the best thing about a smartphone imo!

So..I guess your water pump shelled & dumped the timing belt, demolishing the head? Typical scenario anyhow. Enough to keep me out of a Volvo. (Among myriad other reasons...no offense) Lotsa Volvo engines get replaced due to timing belt failure.

Amazingly my car is actually fine. Thought the head gasket was cooked but I took it down to the point where I could change the heater hose, did so, filled it with coolant and off it went. No ill effects because I pulled it right over. I've been good with changing the TB at the proper times. Now I'm waiting on a plastic coupler to hold the heater hose.Stupid plastic car parts :( Driving around with a zip tied heater hose for the time being.

Thank goodness it's okay..the fast cranking thing is often associated with a broken timing belt, bent valves, loss of compression etc. Sounded ugly, glad it wasn't. Yeah all the plastic cooling system components on late model cars are crap. BMW is guilty of that too, unfortunately.