jjbunn

Help with ID of parts at rear of transmission

14 posts / 884 viewsLast Reply

I am refitting the exhaust header and downpipe on my O2. There are a few things I'm unfamiliar with and would appreciate help with identifying.

Here's a photo of the area:

8213920969_1453854ccf_c.jpg

The green circle shows a pair of wires (I think black and brown/black) that have bare ends and are dangling, disconnected. What are these for and where do they attach?

What is the switch circled in yellow - reverse light?

And what is the blue item circled in red?

Thanks!

Hi, The item in the yellow circle is your transmission reverse switch. The red circle is around the transmission mount. The wires may have belonged to your seatbelt light and buzzer that don't work and have been removed on almost every 02 ever made. I can't be positive though... anyone else want to chime in?

Regards,

Longer wiring harness clipped to the transmission bracket is most likely for a neutral safety switch which is probably long been disconnected/removed from your car.

I have seen two cars so far with wiring and the tab on the bottom of the shift tower but never a switch (in person).

and the part you didn't circle is

the missng exhaust pipesupport bracket

that should be bolted to the rear of the transmission

so yer 'new' exhaust wont fall off quickly ???

and the part you didn't circle is

the missng exhaust pipesupport bracket

that should be bolted to the rear of the transmission

so yer 'new' exhaust wont fall off quickly ???

Yeh, that's a piece I'm familiar with, and is now reinstalled :-) It was while replacing it that I noticed the other parts.

Here's a better photo showing the wires:

8214679855_5bd1d4f28d_b.jpg

I'm hunting for the wires on the schematic, but I'm never sure which of the Haynes versions is correct for my '73 - none of them quite match reality!

Here is the way my car used to be before the 5 speed swap.

(Sorry you have to turn your head - no coughing though)

71c7c5f1.jpg

05e5931f.jpg

More up to date picture after cleaning up and replacing some parts.

IMG_0588.jpg

Here is the little tab on the bottom of the shift tower that presumably held a switch.

dca7795b.jpg

305f85e5.jpg

I do not think you will be able to find a wiring diagram with this switch and short harness on it - believe it only appears in the USA Owner's Manual supplement but no wire colors/terminals are called out.

I recommend pulling them away from the hot exhaust and securing them to either the hard brake line or the reverse light wires.

Thanks for these photos: much appreciated, and they make everything clearer. Looks like my switch is long gone, so I'll do as you suggest, and tie the wires up away from the exhaust.

I happened onto this thread today. I did an oil change and then attempted to rewire my reverse lights. I noticed the extra wiring going to something odd by the shifter platform. I have attached a photo of the switch in place.

Anyone know how it functions? Is it an starter interlock or does it cut ignition? Because...now I have a no-start condition! Cranks to beat the band, but no spark. Recent cap, rotor and spark plugs, but not wires. Coil?

post-8235-13667667219263_thumb.jpg

My understanding is that the switch in your photo detects when the gearbox is in neutral, as part of the safety mechanism circuit.

It was worth a shot...I tied them together, still plenty of crank but no fire. I bet that switch cut out the starter like the seat belt interlock anyway.

I have not had enough time to diagnose spark, but I am leaning in that direction. Recent rotor, cap and plugs that I had on the shelf, I will order up points and wires today. Getting plenty of gas.

Thanks for that tip Bill, I am waiting on the parts to come in and I won't get a chance to get back to it until this weekend. I will double check the condensor connections. Once I have it solved I will report back. I was really hoping that the mystery switch would have been the issue, but looks likely something ordinary.

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread. The answer to my no start issue was the points. I had noticed that I was developing a hesitation, a small miss, how it ran until I got home I don't know, but when I finally gave the points a good hard look, I realized that there was basically no gap when setting on the distributor lobe. I guess the follower had worn that much, perhaps made worse by the use of a cheap part. New Bosch points, correctly gapped and it started right away. Reset the timing and all seems well.

Strangely, I had jumpered the two wires from the neutral switch and just left them handing below the car. On my first attempt to start the car, I was shocked to see the "Fasten Seat Belt" light come on accompanied by a high pitched alarm. When I raised the car back up on the lift, I found that one of the wires from the switch had grounded on the exhaust. I guess the neutral switch is also tied into the seat belt light. Odd I think. Since these wires were not part of my issue, I reattached them to the switch.

All back to good for now.