ATLBMW

Car will not start, please help.

7 posts / 521 viewsLast Reply

Car started, then I stalled it. Now I don't have enough juice to crank it again. I have hooked up to another car with jumper cables, but still can't get enough juice to the starter for it to turn over. Any ideas?

Just picked up car yesterday, stalled it while reversing off the trailer.

These points presume the engine was running previously, and now simply won't re-start...

1. load test the battery to see if it's merely weak, or has an internal dead short

2. are the battery terminals clean?

3. have you tried squirting starting fluid down the carb throat to get the engine to fire?

4. what size jumper cables are you using? Unless they're 6 gauge or larger (4, 2, etc) they're not gonna pass enough current to crank the starter.

Check out the above and report back.

cheers

mike

why not just push start it? I used to be able to push start my '74 on flat ground by myself. Remember to use 2nd gear.

Guest Anonymous

and make sure the grounds from the battery to the body and engine block are clean and tight at both ends. Push starting is definitely an option - 3rd or 4th gear will work too.

Okay, I push started in 2nd and she's running. How long do you think I should drive her to get the battery charged up?

Brand new battery, brand new alternator.

How's the voltage regulator? ;-)

Best to charge the battery with a proper charger IMO.

GL,

Guest Anonymous

it doesn't take long to charge it if your grounds and connections are clean. 20 minutes? Not for a full charge, but enough to be able to turn it off and re-start it.