alpinems

No voltage to coil - ignition switch place to look?

5 posts / 637 viewsLast Reply

The good news is, after tearing the car apart for paint way back in January, it's finally about 95% back together again. 2 weeks ago I was finally able to start it and it was great to hear it running again. Of course it was running way too fast at idel, but that was solvable. Vacuum leak, misaligned weber throttle bodies, etc.

I was fiddling with the above when the motor just immediately died without warning. It wasn't the slow death of fuel, but definitely electrical. I checked the usual, dist cap, plugs, swapped in another coil and rotor, but not getting any spark. Checking the coil voltage the positive terminal shows 0 volts when it should be 12+ when the key is in run position. I traced the green wire back to the fuse box (terminal 11) and it's good. Checking the fuse and terminal junction shows 0 volts when the key is in run (or any) position. Trying to read the wiring diagram I *think* it shows the wire going back to the ignition switch, but I admit I could be wrong.

Is the ignition switch the next place to look? Do they fail? So any hints out there?

For reference's sake, this is a 70 euro model with a 12 fuse panel.

yes, it should go straight to the ignition switch from the fusebox, and yes they do occasionally fail. Look behind the switch and check for voltage at the red wires, should be voltage there all the time, then check the green wires, there should be voltage when the switch is on, if there isn't then the switch or connection is bad.

The switch isn't cheap but at least it is pretty easy to replace if that is the problem. The switch portion of the ignition tumbler just comes off with a couple screws, just make sure you write down where the wires go.

Thanks! I'll wander out to the garage this morning before the turkey starts cooking and poke around.

Hi, I'm also having an issue on my '73 2002 getting voltage to the coil. I checked multiple posts making sure the wiring is correct and left off on this one, I'm getting voltage across the red wires on the switch like you said but not the green ones when the switch is on. Does this still indicate a bad switch or connection? Thanks!

Hi, I'm also having an issue on my '73 2002 getting voltage to the coil. I checked multiple posts making sure the wiring is correct and left off on this one, I'm getting voltage across the red wires on the switch like you said but not the green ones when the switch is on. Does this still indicate a bad switch or connection? Thanks!

If there is power to the red wires and when you switch the ignition to the run position there is still no power to the green wires then I would say the switch is bad., disconnect the wires (remember where they go) and test continuity between those posts when switched on, if there is none then replace the switch.